HIS HD5970 with EK--FC5970

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Bug
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
December 14, 2010 5:42:47 AM

Hi guys

Anyone using the HIS's HD5970 with the EK-FC5970 water block?

Any problems with 'cold bug' or similar reported?

Thanks in advance

More about : hd5970 fc5970

a c 479 K Overclocking
December 14, 2010 1:22:02 PM

Cold bug? Explain...are you meaning the card fails to run because the GPU is too cold? This really only takes place when using LN2 or a compressor to run below-freezing temps on components...not with watercooling only.

Remember, watercooling will never allow you to run anything cooler than ambient air temps, so its the same thing as starting up your box with the stock coolers on at room temps.
December 14, 2010 1:35:02 PM

yo thats also what i thought but i have numerous search hit for this in goolge on overclocker sites and it might be just applying for the high temp beast 5970 from ATI, other option maybe to flash the bios but i would like to refrain from doing so since im not experienced in this and alien bios might make the card unusable and inrevertable...any other thoughts on this?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2010 1:41:00 PM

You will be fine with that block..all this mambojumbo crap about some cold bug,it's all about ATI/AMD drivers that's all
a c 479 K Overclocking
December 14, 2010 1:47:52 PM

@OP...not sure I correctly follow, but I think you might have other issues if you are experiencing this at boot-up.
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2010 5:52:19 PM

I hear people can't boot their 5970 with watercooling. I don't think that is a "cold bug" since it would still be room temperature be it water or a metal heatsink.

I personally don't have any problems with my 5970 and I am using the EK waterblock. I think some people just have faulty BIOS or drivers.
a c 479 K Overclocking
December 14, 2010 6:10:46 PM

...wondering if it's something to do with a solder point or other metal from the card coming into contact with the water block and causing a short.
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2010 6:37:34 PM

rofl_my_waffle said:
I hear people can't boot their 5970 with watercooling. I don't think that is a "cold bug" since it would still be room temperature be it water or a metal heatsink.

I personally don't have any problems with my 5970 and I am using the EK waterblock. I think some people just have faulty BIOS or drivers.

It's a Joke when you spend upwards of 500~700$ for video card and you have to flash your BIOS or constantly have issues with the drivers :pfff: 
December 14, 2010 10:57:15 PM

Did you make sure you did not tighten the the screws on wb too much, I made that mistake...