Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

AMD CPU' Question: Phenom II X2 550BE

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Phenom
Last response: in CPUs
July 7, 2009 9:05:41 PM

Now here is the problem, I bought the new Phenom II X2 550BE and i had dropped it in a Gigabyte Motherboard that only utilizes a Hyper transport bus speed of 2000 MT/s. But then again the processor is capable of double of that. So obviously the CPU is not being used to its full potential. So my question here is that will I notice a difference between 4000 MT/s and 2000 MT/s? Or will i not notice a performance boost at all? In gaming and other stuff.

Please help me!

More about : amd cpu question phenom 550be

a b à CPUs
July 17, 2009 7:46:56 AM

Read this short yet informative article. It provides information that will help you make up your mind. Clue: as with many other computer components, the bigger the numbers the better.
July 17, 2009 8:23:13 AM

perhaps it's about the same idea as ddr where everything doubles - read the spec exactly is it GT/s or Ghz/s - anyway - the one is double the other - which means it's same thing said two different ways.

OR
are you talking about an older AM2 mobo?
it would help if you posted what mobo you are talking about - or more info such as it's AM2 and not AM3 OR AM2+

AM2 uses HT1
AM2+ and AM3 use HT3

the doubled speed does not directly translate as double the performance or double the potential - it's a lot more subtle than that.

more info required.
a c 217 à CPUs
July 17, 2009 12:17:10 PM

kalchi08 said:
~~~ So my question here is that will I notice a difference between 4000 MT/s and 2000 MT/s? Or will i not notice a performance boost at all? In gaming and other stuff.

~~~

For the most part you will not notice a difference in your day-to-day 'stuff' with the lower HT - there still is substantial bandwidth.

""Rule #1"" of the Phenom Arch is that the HT link speed can't be faster than the IMC/NB speed (which IIRC you cannot OC on an AM2 motherboard, anyway). Your CPU clock, IMC/NB speed, and RAMs make the most difference - and you are limited to DDR2 800 (let's say 1000MHz with a 25% OC on your RAMs) so that works out just dandy with your existing HT link speed.