Sims installing in my documents. NO!

Last response: in Video Games
March 24, 2005 1:27:06 PM

My daughter installed the Sims on her computer recently but
unfortunately it has installed around 500megs of data into her My
Documents file.

This is a right pain as her My Documents are on a different computer,
accessed over a 54mbps network, this is slowing the game down slightly
and also adds 500megs to the nightly server backup.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, but unfortunately
it still insists on installing data into "My Documents". I cannot see
an option anywhere to change this.

I want that data to be saved in her local computer under \EA
Games\Sims 2\... rather than \\workgroup\server\My Documents over the
network.

If I can't do it, the game is going on eBay.

Can someone help as my daughter really does like the Sims 2 but until
it stops messing with my metwork I will not allow her to play it. (Its
uninstalled).

MJ.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 2:02:32 PM

Good call georg, didn't think of that one!

Bit silly to put it in the My Documents folder... My Documents are for
just that, not saved games!

Mj
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 6:51:46 PM

<VolvoT5@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Good call georg, didn't think of that one!
>
> Bit silly to put it in the My Documents folder... My Documents are for
> just that, not saved games!
>
> Mj

It's not only EA that does this. Paintshop Pro does it and several other
programs do it also.

Betty
March 24, 2005 9:31:16 PM

Mark Jordan wrote:

> My daughter installed the Sims on her computer recently but
> unfortunately it has installed around 500megs of data into her My
> Documents file.

The game is set up to put downloads and game specific details into My
Documents. this is for "easy access" for downloads and story book/screen
shot portions.

What you may want to do is set another User Account with the My
Documents folder being on the same computer she installs the game onto,
and let her *only* play the Sims2 on that account, and don't let her do
anything else with that account.

-georg
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 10:06:37 PM

Apparently many EA Games do this - they think it's helpful. My SimCity
files are also in My Documents. It's a pain in the backside as far as I am
concerned. You can move My Documents - someone posted instructions a while
back - but a separate game account is just as good though I think it might
put a new set of files back in the Administrator's account every time the
child plays. Might not - I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any
experience of doing this.

Best wishes
Maxon

<VolvoT5@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Good call georg, didn't think of that one!
>
> Bit silly to put it in the My Documents folder... My Documents are for
> just that, not saved games!
>
> Mj

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 12:02:09 AM

See my "University thrice" message.

Each account starts with a pristine "just installed" type game so all the
downloads etc. would have to be copied over by an Administrator. There is
a complete Sims2 folder in each Users "My Documents" folder.

Needs quite a lot of space on the home computer unless only one User plays!

I suppose it saves arguments with children complaining about messed up
games!

Skeatsan''co

> Apparently many EA Games do this - they think it's helpful. My SimCity
> files are also in My Documents. It's a pain in the backside as far as I
> am
> concerned. You can move My Documents - someone posted instructions a
> while
> back - but a separate game account is just as good though I think it might
> put a new set of files back in the Administrator's account every time the
> child plays. Might not - I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any
> experience of doing this.
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon
>

> <VolvoT5@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Good call georg, didn't think of that one!
>>
>> Bit silly to put it in the My Documents folder... My Documents are for
>> just that, not saved games!
>>
>> Mj

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 12:59:16 AM

"d-b_enson" <d_bin@southnospam.com> wrote in message

> <VolvoT5@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Good call georg, didn't think of that one!
> >
> > Bit silly to put it in the My Documents folder... My Documents are for
> > just that, not saved games!
> >
> > Mj
> >

> It's not only EA that does this. Paintshop Pro does it and several other
> programs do it also.

It's a big convienience when you reinstall your system though.

You can just backup the my documents folder and bammo, you keep
all your stuff that's in there.. rather than fish into every game folder for
savegames and the like. I wish more games used the My Docs folder.
It's a great universal place to store info.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 1:22:43 AM

"d-b_enson" <d_bin@southnospam.com> wrote in message

> <VolvoT5@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Good call georg, didn't think of that one!
> >
> > Bit silly to put it in the My Documents folder... My Documents are for
> > just that, not saved games!
> >
> > Mj
> >

> It's not only EA that does this. Paintshop Pro does it and several other
> programs do it also.
>

> Betty

PSP only does it with version 8 or above. And you have the option when
installing where you want the files to go. They do not have to go into my
documents at all.

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 1:36:20 AM

It seems to be more than just EAGames. Settlers 5 puts files in My Documents
and I think a bunch of other 'new' games do so too.

--
Morituri Nolumus Mori

MM

> Apparently many EA Games do this - they think it's helpful. My SimCity
> files are also in My Documents. It's a pain in the backside as far as I
am
> concerned. You can move My Documents - someone posted instructions a
while
> back - but a separate game account is just as good though I think it might
> put a new set of files back in the Administrator's account every time the
> child plays. Might not - I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any
> experience of doing this.
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon
>

> <VolvoT5@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Good call georg, didn't think of that one!
> >
> > Bit silly to put it in the My Documents folder... My Documents are for
> > just that, not saved games!
> >
> > Mj

March 25, 2005 2:25:00 AM

> Bit silly to put it in the My Documents folder... My Documents are for
> just that, not saved games!

Well... it's because of multi-user systems. It means that you can have
one set of savegames per user with minimal hassle. Admittedly it works a
lot better with games that just have small savegame files, but it does
mean that you don't have to worry about filtering out all of the custom
downloads when nephew/niece play - you just give them the downloads that
you want.

CK

Oh, and both Max Payne's do it, too. FWIW.
March 25, 2005 2:47:50 AM

I have three accounts on my computer. My son plays sims2/uni on his account
and I play it on my account. the downloads folder in the sims2 folder remain
totally different from each other.
> Apparently many EA Games do this - they think it's helpful. My SimCity
> files are also in My Documents. It's a pain in the backside as far as I
> am
> concerned. You can move My Documents - someone posted instructions a
> while
> back - but a separate game account is just as good though I think it might
> put a new set of files back in the Administrator's account every time the
> child plays. Might not - I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any
> experience of doing this.
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon
>

> <VolvoT5@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Good call georg, didn't think of that one!
>>
>> Bit silly to put it in the My Documents folder... My Documents are for
>> just that, not saved games!
>>
>> Mj

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 12:38:53 PM

The problem is M$ being stupid and assuming:

a) everyone's going to have only one local partition

b) it's sensible to put data in a System partition - Doh!

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 23:25:00 +0000, CK
<CatKiller@nospamplease.Bigfoot.com> wrote:

>> Bit silly to put it in the My Documents folder... My Documents are for
>> just that, not saved games!
>>
>Well... it's because of multi-user systems. It means that you can have
>one set of savegames per user with minimal hassle. Admittedly it works a
>lot better with games that just have small savegame files, but it does
>mean that you don't have to worry about filtering out all of the custom
>downloads when nephew/niece play - you just give them the downloads that
>you want.
>
>CK
>
>Oh, and both Max Payne's do it, too. FWIW.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 2:59:44 PM

Yes, I know that but what I'm thinking is it may need a complete set of
files in the Administrator's account that the game was originally installed
from in order to run the game. That's easily solvable by making the new
account an administrator's account and installing from there. As I say,
maybe that's not going to be a problem.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Skeatsan''co" <overthemoon@overthemoonagain.co.uk> wrote in message
> See my "University thrice" message.
>
> Each account starts with a pristine "just installed" type game so all the
> downloads etc. would have to be copied over by an Administrator. There
is
> a complete Sims2 folder in each Users "My Documents" folder.
>
> Needs quite a lot of space on the home computer unless only one User
plays!

> I suppose it saves arguments with children complaining about messed up
> games!
>
> Skeatsan''co

> > Apparently many EA Games do this - they think it's helpful. My SimCity
> > files are also in My Documents. It's a pain in the backside as far as I
> > am
> > concerned. You can move My Documents - someone posted instructions a
> > while
> > back - but a separate game account is just as good though I think it
might
> > put a new set of files back in the Administrator's account every time
the
> > child plays. Might not - I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any
> > experience of doing this.
> >
> > Best wishes
> > Maxon
> >

> > <VolvoT5@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Good call georg, didn't think of that one!
> >>
> >> Bit silly to put it in the My Documents folder... My Documents are for
> >> just that, not saved games!
> >>
> >> Mj

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 2:59:45 PM

It wouldn't be so bad if they gave you the option not to do it. My Windows
partition was really small so if the thing crashed I only lost that - I've
had to resize.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Paul aka Riff" <Agent@nospam.holite.net> wrote in message
> The problem is M$ being stupid and assuming:
>
> a) everyone's going to have only one local partition
>
> b) it's sensible to put data in a System partition - Doh!

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 5:27:30 PM

"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
>"Paul aka Riff" <Agent@nospam.holite.net> wrote in message
>> The problem is M$ being stupid and assuming:
>> a) everyone's going to have only one local partition
>> b) it's sensible to put data in a System partition - Doh!
>
>It wouldn't be so bad if they gave you the option not to do it.

Hm? Explorer -> "My Documents" -> Properties -> Move. Should do the
trick.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

Maxon wrote:
> Apparently many EA Games do this - they think it's helpful.

EVERYONE does this--all my games, my flight simulator, everything.

--
--Cuth
!