AMD Phenom II X2 550 vs Intel E7400

Hi there,

I'm trying to decide what CPU I should go for out of the two.

I've always liked Intel however I am considering AMD's new Phenom series because they seem to be getting some good reviews lately.

Obviously my decision will change other factors such as what mobo I pick, So please could you suggest a mobo that will pair nicely with the chosen CPU.

Thanks all the best,

Matt-
8 answers Last reply
More about phenom intel e7400
  1. well dude i need to no wat u plan to use the cpu for, the budget etc
    the amd build would be cheaper, i looked at some reviews and they trade blows
  2. The 550 would be better (just slightly) and overclocks well. Just pair it with a good 780G board and you'll be good to go. If you are interested in crossfire then I say go for the ASRock 780GXE, or if you want to spend a little the Gigabyte 790X board.
  3. The 550 overclocks really well and also has the possibility of being a quad core with the right southbridge the SB750 or SB710. I have one and was able to unlock the cores. Having a 3.1 ghz quad core with 8 mb of cache is pretty sweet.
  4. xaira said:
    well dude i need to no wat u plan to use the cpu for, the budget etc
    the amd build would be cheaper, i looked at some reviews and they trade blows

Well I'm going to be doing some moderate gaming, alot of video editing and some photoshop on top. I'm currently running a Pentium D 820 so I'm expecting a big performance increase whatever CPU I go for.

Thanks all for the replies,

Matt-
  5. Yeah, it will be a pretty big increase either way :D.
  6. If you got the money, Newegg has a combo with the 940 BE and a 790gx for $210
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.209473

Yes its biostar, but well worth the mid grade mobo for a quad if you can swing it. If you have even more, theres better mobo combos with the 940 BE. You'll appreciate the extra cores when editing video
  7. You could get a X3 710 for the same price as and E7400, and the AMD mobos are cheaper.
  8. I wouldn't say biostar is a bad board for an AMD system. The newegg combo looks very good for the price.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Phenom Intel AMD Product