Your question

First Time PC Gaming?

Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • Gaming
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 24, 2009 5:00:04 PM

I have a question about gaming on a Brand new built PC and gaming on it while using a 26" Sony bravia LCD.

My list are as follows:

Quad Core Q6600 CPU

EVGA 750i Mobo

4Gb G.Skill RAM

Single EVGA GeForce GTX 260 GPU

WD 1TB HDD

Corsair TX 750W PSU

ASUS 22X22 DVD Drive SATA

CoolerMaster HAF 932 Case

Windows XP SP3 Pro

I am currently using my 26" Sont Bravia with the HDMI Hook up untill I can afford a nice monitor. The Sony has a max res. of 1366X768 and my PC is set at a res. of 1360X768. Now this PC is going to be used for gaming and thats why I built it. On a budget as well, as you can see by the list above. My GPU came with COD WOW and it's the first ever game for me that I have played on the PC and love it so far. I have been console gaming for many years now but I thought it was time to step it up a notch.

Anyhow is there any tweaking or adjustments I can do to get the most out of what I have here at the momment? Or am I maxed out at these settings? I am brand new at PC gaming so I am trying to learn about all the awesome features that the PC has to offer and that the consoles don't!

Thanx

More about : time gaming

a b 4 Gaming
April 24, 2009 7:11:31 PM

Nice build for budget:) 
Take a look at the Overclocking Forum for ideas on how to squeeze more speed out of your new rig.
Also google the following "Anti-aliasing" and "Anisotropic filtering." (if you do n't already know what they mean).
But, before you do I`ll just say that at the moment it will run everything you can throw at it and will probably laugh into the bargain. Your resoloution is reall, really low for such a powerful system so just set the game options to maximum and enjoy.
April 24, 2009 7:23:44 PM

Ok thank you and I will look into those things you mentioned cause the answer is no I do not know the first thing about those things. I am pretty sure that if or when I do some overclocking I will have to get a aftermarket CPU Cooler first. I'm looking at a cooler master V8 but so far Call of duty WOW seems to run very smooth. And like I said I am working on getting a nice 24" to 30" monitor so I can use this machine to it's fullest potential. Learning as I go here.

Thanx
Related resources
April 24, 2009 7:36:32 PM

You do not need to do any overclocking if you are playing at that resolution.
I would rather not touch the system if you've never done overclocking or at least do a through research before you do anything that might jeopardize the stability of your system.

GTX 260 has plenty of power to render any game on max settings at that resolution, so just enjoy your system as it is.

Cheers and have fun gaming
a b 4 Gaming
April 25, 2009 1:47:08 AM

jerkinjohn said:
I have a question about gaming on a Brand new built PC and gaming on it while using a 26" Sony bravia LCD.

My list are as follows:

Quad Core Q6600 CPU

EVGA 750i Mobo

4Gb G.Skill RAM

Single EVGA GeForce GTX 260 GPU

WD 1TB HDD

Corsair TX 750W PSU

ASUS 22X22 DVD Drive SATA

CoolerMaster HAF 932 Case

Windows XP SP3 Pro

I am currently using my 26" Sont Bravia with the HDMI Hook up untill I can afford a nice monitor. The Sony has a max res. of 1366X768 and my PC is set at a res. of 1360X768. Now this PC is going to be used for gaming and thats why I built it. On a budget as well, as you can see by the list above. My GPU came with COD WOW and it's the first ever game for me that I have played on the PC and love it so far. I have been console gaming for many years now but I thought it was time to step it up a notch.

Anyhow is there any tweaking or adjustments I can do to get the most out of what I have here at the momment? Or am I maxed out at these settings? I am brand new at PC gaming so I am trying to learn about all the awesome features that the PC has to offer and that the consoles don't!

Thanx

One thing you may want to check; one of your HDMI ports may be specifically designed for connecting to a digital video card. On my Samsung, I had to use HDMI 2 to get the best display. According to the owner's manual, that was the one designed for computer usage. I had it connected to HDMI 1 at first, but there was a lot of overscan, and the picture was less than perfect. Just something you may want to check...
April 25, 2009 5:07:07 AM

Hi John, welcome to PC gaming!

To start you off with some information, you should read

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_1.html and http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/Graphics/anti...

Those will at least introduce you to some of the terminology used in the pc gaming world. For something more specific, try reading http://www.gamespot.com/features/6183967/index.html?tag...;title;0 to give you visual examples of what different settings do in call of duty. Yes, I know that guide is for COD4 and you're playing world at war, but it uses the same game engine (Basically, W@W is built on the same underlying ground work/foundation that COD4 used) so that guide is still applicable.

I'd also suggest downloading steam and looking at some of the titles there. Steam is a digital distribution service for games, and you can often find some slick deals on there. For example, this weekend it's only $10 for the orange box. In terms of value for your dollar, I'm not sure I've ever seen a better deal - all of those games are top quality. Of course, you might want to pick up the half life 1 games and play through those first, to set the stage for the sequels.

Also, don't worry about overclocking for now. While you can get some great gains from OCing, you can also permanently break things.
April 25, 2009 2:36:02 PM

clutchc said:
One thing you may want to check; one of your HDMI ports may be specifically designed for connecting to a digital video card. On my Samsung, I had to use HDMI 2 to get the best display. According to the owner's manual, that was the one designed for computer usage. I had it connected to HDMI 1 at first, but there was a lot of overscan, and the picture was less than perfect. Just something you may want to check...

Thank you very much everyone! I did check in my user manual and YES, HDMI input 2 is where a DVI to HDMI should go according to the manual. I made the switch and didn't notice much difference but atleast I am going by the numbers now. Thank you also for those links! I will be reading and doing research to educate myself in this area. I wont be getting into overclocking, atleast not right now. As long as my games look and play good then I have no need to mess with it. As it stands now I am happier with my PC performance than I am with my X Box 360, so I'm in good shape. And I am axious to see how I can make some minor improvements with some tweaking here and there.

Thanx
April 25, 2009 4:51:47 PM

I do have a question though and I don't know if anyone has the answer! I have googled it but I'm not getting anywhere. I have a Sony KDL-26S3000 LCD and am using DVI to HDMI connection from my PC. In the TV setting I can either have it on (TEXT) or (VIDEO). Now I figured that when I'm using my PC in general I would have it on (TEXT). But how about when I play games? Does anyone know whats the best setting to go with?
!