BIOS Update

CanCb

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I am new to computer building and am trying to understand the BIOS update procedure.

If I but a new motherboard and this motherboard has 5 updates available...do I need to install each individual update sequentially (from the oldest to the newest) or does the latest update include all the previous updates?

Do this only if you absolutely have to, and only if recommended by your motherboard manufacturer. BIOS updating (flashing the BIOS) is not recommended for newcomers. Normally, updating is not required, and it is risky to do so. The reason for the risk is that if there is an interruption (like power outage) during the flashing process, irreversible computer damage could result, and you will end up with an expensive 'door stop'.

Here is an article that explains some of this: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1605

Even though the article is old, the concepts are still valid. I recently flashed the BIOS per motherboard manufacturer's suggestion, and followed the detailed steps outlined by the manufacturer (downloading new BIOS, creating a CD image, and then running the CD).

Hope this helps!

CanCb

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
if you do proceed with any othe the BIOS updates then if you do not go one by one then jump every other update.
do not jump from your BIOS version directly to the latest version.!!

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that if there are 5 BIOS updates for example, then I need to flash with each individual update?

G

how about "EVEREST ULTIMATE"? I don't kno wat specs u have but give it a try!!!
but be assured that bios update is good but if it is not stable for ur pc the ur pc may be damaged!!!

My best answer will be ur defult bios is good!

makaveli2007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

most of the things you said are correct but why would burn 1mb~ for updating file?

you can use diskkate or USB flash

for the thraed opner , updating the BIOS can resolve problems
but can lead to problems as well so its better to update only if the update fixes your problem

or adds ,improve technology

if you do proceed with any othe the BIOS updates then if you do not go one by one then jump every other update.
do not jump from your BIOS version directly to the latest version.!!

i dont see what the problem with it?

you can update the last upadte with no problem

makaveli2007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
^
you do not want to skip to the last update if you are multiple versions behind...
there are specific enhancements (possibly) in each update and a massive jump of more than 4 or 5 updates might crash the system.
I do not know what or where you have read your updating BIOS info from but it's incorrect.
read each individual update for it's exact enhancements, it might be more useful than you think.

the last update contains the previous , updates as well (or fix them if need)

so why would any one go each update until the last