GPU giving less than impressive results

G

Hi guys, I'm completely losing it here and would love some help on this one..

Basically, I work as a graphic designer and I get *very* poor speeds inside my 3D Package which I believe it OpenGL based. I don't game so I have no idea about game performance.

I built a new computer back in Jan with the following:

Asus P6T Deluxe
Core i7 920 (Not OC'd)
6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 (not OC'd)
nVidia Geforce 280GTX (not OC'd)
Coolermaster 1000W PSU

In benchmarks with 3DMark and PCMark the CPU comes out great but the GPU scores really low. After I built the PC I ran Memtest86+ for 24 hours and Prime95 for 24 hours, both came out fine with no faults.

I get the error "nvlddmkm stopped responding and has recovered" intermitently when doing 3D-related work but the system is otherwise very stable. I have run the oZone Fur stability test and the GPU temp seems fairly stable and without a crash, so I'm reluctant to believe it's a heating issue. Everything in the BIOS is set to 'Auto' with regards to timings etc.

I'm starting to wonder if the card itself is faulty.

This error seems to mean "anything causing the video driver to crash" and isn't necessarily an issue with the video card itself or its drivers.

It could be any software or hardware.

You might consider downloading and installing Windows 7 RC x64 when freely available from Microsoft on May 5th.

You can partition and dual-boot your system.

Anyway, this problem's all over the internet so all I can say is begin making hardware and software changes, one at a time until your problem disappears.