infamous16

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
so right now I'm running xp with a 4670, 4gb of ram, x2 5000, and a rando seagate hd.

sometime when im playing a game the cpu will bottleneck the gpu, i know this because in wow when im doing a 25 man raid i get the same fps in the highest or lowest settings, and when i check out my cpu it usually is it between 60% and 99% usage...which it shouldnt be.

someone told me it was because i was running a 64 bit cpu on a 32 bit os, which i thought sounded ridiculous. I was kinda waiting to get a new hd to upgrade to the w7 rc or vista (free) but would it be worth it upgrading now to see if my cpu will work better? because it REALLY shouldnt be doing this, its like it only has 1 core or something.

and i cant even oc it because its not the black edition

please help! thanks

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
You can still overclock the CPU even though its not a BE edition AMD processor. You raise the FSB in the BIOS. Unless its a OEM computer which probably won't be able to be overclocked.

infamous16

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008

yeah i knew that but i still couldnt oc my cpu as much as i could if it was the BE

and i built it myself

royalcrown

Distinguished
Win 7 really doesen't run super fast, faster than vista for sure, but not as snappy as xp, so if you are on XP, you won't see a huge difference. before this system I had a 5400+ running vista 64 ultimate. I can say that win 7 runs great even on the kids 3400 single core emachine, just a tad slower than the XP home that is oem w it. the one advantage you'd get with the win 7 or vista switch would be a bit more ram to be used for what you want instead of reserved by the system. IMO, this wont make a diff tho as you're cpu just plain has too much to do.

infamous16

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008

but i really dont get why my cpu my cpu usage is jumping from 30%-80% just while having mozilla and itunes up.

I've cleaned up my processes, run virus scans, etc...

royalcrown

Distinguished
well, it does have to calculate the variables and stuff and what happens during a raid, all that stuff gets passed back and forth between your game and the server that and it has to keep your uber fast gpu, supplied with data.

My 5400 couldn't even push this 8800 gts 512, I was about 30-40 percent below ppl that had the same card and a good core 2 duo cpu. When I benched my setup now, with the same 8800, my setup is about 30 percent faster ALL the time, so I bet it is even worse on your system.

there are also a lot of services that show up as "host services" in the taskmanager, and secret services that don't show at all, you can go on Microsoft's knowledge base and it will tell you when you look up what a host service is exactly. Hard for me to say without looking at it, and or being a programmer myself. Just a power user, but I'd guess it is the unlisted processes going on plus whatever wow is doing at the time. Just my 2 cents.

royalcrown

Distinguished
Oh, have you also installed the AMD utility for dual cores ? It helps with timer problems in some games. Some games can go screwy because of the way dual cores can mess with the game's way of tracking time and this supposedly helps.

xaira

Distinguished
wat do you mean you cant oc, its a home built system, i have my x2 4400+ ocd with the stock cooler to 2.8 and i can even get it to 3.1 that 5000 should be able to get some descent numbers, once all 24 of ur 24 pin atx connector is in, get clockgen and see wat she can do, if ur at 65nm u should be capable of atleast 3.0 90nm not so much.

infamous16

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008

tried but the website is all messed up

the link that says download now isnt even a link so i cant download it :(

the multipliers are locked on the non black edition ones.

loneninja

Distinguished

For the last time, a locked multiplier doesn't stop overclocking, and often a processor can be overclocked just as far with a locked multiplier as it would if it had a unlocked multiplier.

Hitting 100% or close to a 100% usage on an Athlon X2 is also common with today's games, most games can use 2 cores and the Athlon X2 has become rather weak when compared to almost any other processor, even an Athlon X2 7750 is much better for games than the older Athlon X2's

DataCabbitKSW

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
infamous16: I'm guessing you are playing World of Warcraft (25-man raids, heh). That game is _notoriously_ CPU limited. If you are seeing spikes while running FireFox, it is likely due to an addon in FF or from a page with Flash (video, flash-ads, etc). Close the tabs with any flash-apps, and use ad-blocker-plus or noScript to drop out the flash based ads. This should help tame how much CPU is being used by FF. iTunes mostly just eats memory, but you'll see 5-20% cpu usage decoding DRM'd AAC songs depending on CPU speed. 64-bit may help (iTunes has a native 64-bit client which runs a bit better), but I don't think it was the panacea you were led to believe. Things are better on the 64-bit side, but not miraculously so. You will see small performance gains unless your program was written for 64-bit (no 64-bit flash except on Linux so far).

As for doing an OC, locked multipliers just means you can't change that. Try changing the FSB speeds for starters. Now as to Windows 7, I do find it faster than Windows Vista, and it is certainly just as snappy on both my development tower and on my 7-year old laptop as Windows XP was. The memory footprint is pretty close on the laptop, while being a bit higher than XP on the tower. Also, its scheduler is vastly improved so that it handles multiple cores a lot better and memory management is handled better as well. You can try the Windows 7 Release Candidate for free if you have a spare partition or drive to load it onto. Get it before August 15th (the cutoff for new downloads of it) on TechNet: http://tinyurl.com/832nco