Sign in with
Your question

Bottleneck?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 15, 2010 1:28:55 AM

Hello Everyone!!!

I am brand new to this forum and I am excited to be here. I look at this site all the time for guidance. This time I think I need more of an answer rather then searching aimlessly. I believe I have a problem with my homebuilt machine. I hope I am posting this is the correct area.

First let me start with my specs:
Antec 1200 Case
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition @3.33 O.C. 4.4
Corsair 800w Power Supply
6GB Corsair Dominator @1600 O.C. 1683 (3X2GB)
ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 Motherboard
Dual ATI Radeon HD 5770's in Crossfire GPU=950 Memory=1390
OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD-2AGTE60B 2.5"
Velocity Raptor 10,000RPM 320GB
MOBO set to AHCI configuration
Corsair Hydro H70 CWCH70 cooling
23" LG LED 1920X1080 60hz 5ms Monitor with HDMI connection

My problem is that I play Battlefield:Bad Company 2, when I play I seem to get about half a round of smooth gameplay and then random burst of lag where people just randomly start to appear almost if I lose connection for a moment. This becomes annoying because my old computer, prebuilt HP, worked just fine. I thought going into this new system would have been outstanding. I am not new to computers whatsoever, I have searched forums and been asking around for weeks now. I am looking for general guidance on the issue. People tell me it can be my monitor not keeping up with the image rate. I was suggested to get the Acer GD235HZbid 120hz monitor. Also to start using a DVI connection. I have ran countless test from Prime95 for stability at 12 hours of torture testing and 3d Vantage. I am curious if there are other possibilities of a bottleneck in my system.

I can reply with more accurate configuration specs if needed.

Any please help?

More about : bottleneck

a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2010 1:35:01 AM

Did you checked the cards temps after 10-15 minutes playing game?
It could be an overheating...
m
l
December 15, 2010 1:05:26 PM

Yes, I run around 68 degrees C with the cards. I also have been keeping up with drivers. I will monitor my temps more thoroughly today. Can temps around 68-74 really make my game start to skip? Also, the standard GPU clock is around 800 I have mine O.C. to 950 the standard memory clock is 1200 and I have mine O.C. to 1390.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2010 1:22:32 PM

Tried with the stock(default) speed?
Your temps are fine...
Does it happened only in BBC2?
m
l
December 15, 2010 1:36:07 PM

Funny you ask that cause I have not in a while. I will though, kind of stupid that I have not tried all this on stock speeds. From what I remember it still was happening on stock speeds but I could be wrong. I will try running the game on stock speeds and see what happens. I will get back to you on that.

No, unfortunately, this also happens on Crysis. I play for about a half hour and then the system seems to be a bottleneck would do.

Could it be my monitor at only 60hz and 5ms response compared to something that would be 120hz and 2ms?
-Just a question as well, would you recommend HDMI or DVI? Some say they get better color and image through DVI.

Lastly, I was told at the increased overclocked speeds to increase my voltage to the cards. (I wish I knew how :??:  )

Reply would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2010 1:54:44 PM

No, your monitor is just fine (5ms is just normal). HDMI is about the same like DVI. HDMI=with sound, DVI=without sound.
You can OC card without increasing the voltage, but you will get a little performance increase. Some card would allow you to control the voltage like CirectCU card from ASUS.
m
l
December 15, 2010 2:01:10 PM

So I can't increase the voltage of my cards? Or it is not necessary?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2010 2:06:20 PM

What model is your HD5770?
I think you can't increase the voltage of your card, like i said before, some cards would allow you to do that and some wouldn't.
It is necessary? If you want to OC then yes, it's necessary for bumping/push more to higher clock.
m
l
December 15, 2010 5:38:22 PM

I have dual XFX 5770's and i am pushing my gpu clock and memory clock.
m
l
December 15, 2010 7:10:14 PM

This does not seem like a bottleneck problem. You could look into two aspects though.

Software:
1. Clean up your comp. Defrag it, run ccleaner and clean up your registry.
2. Download the latest catalyst drivers.
3. Uninstall and install the game if possible.

Hardware:
1. You have checked your temps. How about opening it and cleaning it up as well? Dirt causes all kinds of problems.
2. Do not OC anything. See how it runs.
3. Does the same problem happen in other games? Check your power connections anyway.
4. Just pull out your components and put it back again. Even loose ram at times causes sudden framing.(my old p4 build had a similar problem after i dropped it)

I have also noticed you are mentioning something about connection problems. Is it that when you play online these things happen?

If you play online there coluld be some issues which you need to look into.
1. Check which country servers you are playing on. Some countries with a higher or lower server ping cause auto kicking, ghosting and framing.
2. How is game play when you play offline? In fact pull out your ethernet cord and play a campaign.
3. Also, is the problem with game play happening in a certain part?For example when you step into a certain part of the map it goes awry?

Let us know what you come up with.
m
l
December 15, 2010 9:36:26 PM

Ok...

I am telling the truth here.

I have a very clean system. I run defrag and disk cleanup on a regular basis. I do have the latest catalyst drivers, the XFX has the latest driver of 10.12. Or I should say that is what I am currently using and that is the most recent on the ATI website. I have installed the game and re-installed countless number of times and reapplied my settings. I play 1920X1080 and all high settings with 1XMSAA and 1XAF, vsync on, hbao off. I can play higher with the dual cards but I don't waste resources for barely any noticeable difference in image quality.

I run realtempGT currently and at idel my system runs at 23 celsius and full load I run around 62 celsius. The gpu runs around 31 celsius idle and around 51 celsius while I game. The problem does happen in other games, crysis will do the exact same thing.

I understand the whole different country server aspect and how that works. I play in servers called "Z-GAMING" and in their servers i rarely have a ping higher than 100, mostly in maintains around 85-97. That is a good ping for this game and like I said when I run smoothly I run very smoothly. I get the same thing when I play offline. I play the campaign mode and I will get smooth gameplay for a while and then randomly start to glitch. I can't really tell whether it is in a certain part of the map, though if you are implying like heavy detailed areas that may drop my frame-rate that is a no-go. I never drop below 60FPS even when mortar strikes hit next to me and big explosions. I connected to my friends 120hz monitor and was getting an average of 100FPS on the current settings above. (which is impressive with just X2 5770's)

I mean I feel as if I have more of a O.C. issue with my system though I could be wrong cause I have ran a lot of torture test and benchmarks and they all seem stable and give out impressive scores.

I put all the default values on my computer along with my graphics card and it ran smoother for a longer period of time though as the matches continued it slowly started to happen again. I understand this is a very difficult problem to understand unless your sitting at my computer.

I did finally download MSI Afterburner and noticed that the voltage was unlocked. The core voltage (mV) on the stock settings was 1125 and i changed it to 1250 and I am running further test but I think that seems to have solved the problem quit a bit.

I appreciate the detailed reply.

If you can think of anything else, let me know.

Thanks,

Andrew
m
l
December 15, 2010 11:11:12 PM

Hard to say what is happening.
If possible, try the following:

- run everuthing @ stock settings and run your system. It could just be the case that you were unlucky and got yourself a poorly overclockable mobo/cpu.
- if it does no work, rebuild your system. Unplug it all, then then plug it again, just to make sure all the connections are secure.
- if it does not work, ask around if any of your friends could lend you his/her gpu for a couple of hours and test it. Ideally, you should try to get a GPU with comparable power, like a 5870, or another couple of 5770, of a GTX470/480.
- if it does not work, repeat the proceding steps with someonelse's memory.

My guess is that the problem lies in your GPUs.

BTW, avoid running defrag and cleanup on your SSD, for it will kill them.

Let us know if it works.

Galta
m
l
December 16, 2010 3:04:15 AM

I can try getting alternate sources of hardware to try.

I have the top of the line cpu and only X2 128-bit cards for graphics, can that alone be a bottle neck. I know there are 256-bit and 384-bit cards.

Also, can really running disk cleanup and defrag kill my ssd? If so, why?
m
l
December 16, 2010 7:09:52 PM

Manifest2 said:
Ok...

I am telling the truth here.

I have a very clean system. I run defrag and disk cleanup on a regular basis. I do have the latest catalyst drivers, the XFX has the latest driver of 10.12. Or I should say that is what I am currently using and that is the most recent on the ATI website. I have installed the game and re-installed countless number of times and reapplied my settings. I play 1920X1080 and all high settings with 1XMSAA and 1XAF, vsync on, hbao off. I can play higher with the dual cards but I don't waste resources for barely any noticeable difference in image quality.

I run realtempGT currently and at idel my system runs at 23 celsius and full load I run around 62 celsius. The gpu runs around 31 celsius idle and around 51 celsius while I game. The problem does happen in other games, crysis will do the exact same thing.

I understand the whole different country server aspect and how that works. I play in servers called "Z-GAMING" and in their servers i rarely have a ping higher than 100, mostly in maintains around 85-97. That is a good ping for this game and like I said when I run smoothly I run very smoothly. I get the same thing when I play offline. I play the campaign mode and I will get smooth gameplay for a while and then randomly start to glitch. I can't really tell whether it is in a certain part of the map, though if you are implying like heavy detailed areas that may drop my frame-rate that is a no-go. I never drop below 60FPS even when mortar strikes hit next to me and big explosions. I connected to my friends 120hz monitor and was getting an average of 100FPS on the current settings above. (which is impressive with just X2 5770's)

I mean I feel as if I have more of a O.C. issue with my system though I could be wrong cause I have ran a lot of torture test and benchmarks and they all seem stable and give out impressive scores.

I put all the default values on my computer along with my graphics card and it ran smoother for a longer period of time though as the matches continued it slowly started to happen again. I understand this is a very difficult problem to understand unless your sitting at my computer.

I did finally download MSI Afterburner and noticed that the voltage was unlocked. The core voltage (mV) on the stock settings was 1125 and i changed it to 1250 and I am running further test but I think that seems to have solved the problem quit a bit.

I appreciate the detailed reply.

If you can think of anything else, let me know.

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Manifest.

When you install your games the data is specific sectors on your hard disk. The areas problem I was talking about is when you walk through a certain area and your game lags or crashes. Have you ever tried short stoking by any chance? Or have you ever used multiple shredders? It seems you have tried everything possible.
Download the Seagate HDD tools and do a disk health check. Check smart attributes.
You might as well give it a try and see what happens.

Let us know if there is any change. I guess others on this forum are also interested to know what is happening with your system.
m
l
December 17, 2010 10:51:35 AM

Mailpranshu,

It is a OCZ Agility II SSD 60GB that I have my BFBC2 installed on. Not my 320GB Velocity Raptor. Only program on my OCZ besides my OS is BF. The 320GB is just a data drive.

You need to fill me in on short stoking and multiple shredders. I will run a disk check on both drives when I return home and let you know.

Really, well I am trying guys and I will try my best to continuing troubleshooting this problem.
m
l
December 21, 2010 6:19:35 PM

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to let all of you know that the problem is know solved on this thread and I will tell you how. As listed in my signature below I run dual 5770's in Crossfire. I use the CCC to overclock the cards and set all the changes. I was told that you needed to enable cataylst A.I. in order to get dual cards to run properly. I always applied the settings to the CCC to make sure that the A.I. was on "Advanced" THOUGH, I always changed back to my custom profile of "BFBC2" which did not have the A.I. enabled. So half-way through the rounds of playing BFBC2 I would get bad lag. Once I made sure the A.I. was set to advanced and added that to my custom profile on the CCC then it never happened again and I can't be more pleased with the results I am getting.

In between post on this thread I went out and bought a 120hz monitor with dual-link DVI cable. With just two 5770's and high graphics, including MSAA and AF with HBAO on I am getting between 85-113 FPS on average, the lowest benchmark was 74 FPS when buildings collapse next to me in-game. I am so happy that this problem is fixed.

I appreciate all the replies and interest that all of you took in this situation. I am sure it won't be my last.

Thanks,

Andrew
m
l
!