Sign in with
Your question

Home network wireless connection problems

Tags:
  • Connectivity
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 10, 2009 2:58:24 PM

Basically- HELP! A few months ago I switched to Verizon fios, which has been great in most ways. However, I guess it's the way my house is built, but I have no wireless range in the back 3rd of my house. I can't use my laptop in the back bedroom or a new PC that is in the rear upstairs office. I have purchased a number of products from the local Micro Center including; a D-Link Systems Xtreme N Gigabit Router;D-Link Systems Xtreme N Dual Band USB Adapter AND a Hawking Hi-Gain Wireless-300N Range Extender. So it goes without saying I am in for about $300. The two PC's located closest work great- 100% signal, etc. The laptop doesn't connect at all in the back room. The upstairs office PC has sporadic connectivity- 11 to 30% signal, and I lose connectivity all the time. What can I do next? Can I return any of these items and get the "correct" hardware?

More about : home network wireless connection problems

Anonymous
December 10, 2009 3:12:28 PM

Have a look at mains borne networking kit -- Homeplug is one type that comes to mind. Basically you plug in a unit at the router end and plug in one by the computer and you get quick reliable, secure, connection (that's the theory, anyway).

More expensive than wireless but probably easier to set up
m
l
December 10, 2009 3:20:26 PM

Does that mean I need to somehow run a 75 foot ethernet cable throughout my house? :o 
That's not really doable, I really need to upgrade my wireless. I guess I don't understand your reply. :sweat: 
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
December 10, 2009 3:26:02 PM

No. It's mains-borne networking -- data runs over the house power wiring. Maybe my English English is a little quaint.
m
l
December 10, 2009 3:44:57 PM

So sorry. We Americans are not used to "The King's English," so the mis-interpretation is mine. Thanks for the advice, I must try something :hello: 
m
l
Anonymous
December 10, 2009 3:51:51 PM

Queen's English, old boy. Queen's English.

Well actually her great-great whatever grandfather was German and started all that trouble with colonies.
m
l
!