Need help Monitor shows "No Signal"

timi-style

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
So guys here's my problem. My pc worked fine till today, when my mom turned the electricity off without shutting off the pc first. When I came home it didn't work. It just says "No signal" I thought that she had pushed the connectors out so I connect them again, just to be sure. But it still doesn't work? Maybe my graphics card is smoked, I have no other idea. If one of you guys could help me that'll be very nice.

Here are my specs if they might help you.

Abit IL9PRO i(ntel) 945P mobo
1GB DDR2 800mhz Ram
Intel Dual-Core E2180 @2.0Ghz
EVGA GeForce 8500gt 512mb (I overclocked earlier on next gen gaming)

Monitor: MAG LCD 17" LM-705

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Hummm.... my monitor does that occasionally when I boot up, but shutting down (blind) both the monitor and computer and rebooting always allows it to recover. I presume you've already tried this? Try unplugging the monitor for a few seconds too.

timi-style

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

I tried that a few times earlier, it didn't work. So I just connected my monitor with my laptop and it works fine. That means that something with my pc is wrong!

What could be the problem except my graphics card is destroyed?

It's pretty much basic troubleshooting.

In fact, when you turn on your computer does it sound like it's starting normally but nothing shows on the screen at all?

Basically, you need to start by testing another card in your system or test your card in another system. Your CPU and PSU will both limit how much of a graphics card you can upgrade to.

If it's the graphics card is the problem, I'd probably replace it with an HD4670 but no higher.

(FYI, you can support high definition video decoding with this card and similar cards. I use the latest K-Lite Full codec package and run my video with the include WMPC-HC media player. You can google for more information. DXVA must ben enabled in the settings.)

timi-style

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

Yes if I could do that. I bought my pc as a hole config. It's not a selfbuild. If I open the case I loose the waranty.
A question can I see the PSUs power without openning the case?

timi-style

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Yes of course I send it back. If the graphics card is done maybe I buy a 9600gt or 9800gt depending on the costs. And add 1 or 2 gb of ram. Do you think it'll work good with games? My max res is 1280x1024, I dont usualy use AA or AF.

Graphics card:
Wait and get the ATI RV740 which should be out really soon:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-4750-rv740-review-preview-test/12

It's supposed to about $100, but will be cooler and quieter (40nm). Performance should be almost EXACTLY a 9800GT. Your CPU can't handle any more.

I'm pretty sure this card will have MPEG2 hardware video decoding. It will have AVC and VC-1.

Hopefully a vendor will add an S/PDIF input for audio. Simple "passthrough" HDMI audio sucks. the S/PDIF input allows audio cards to be hooked up to it. Without this audio out is extremely limited for HDMI (most don't care).

RAM:
Definitely more RAM. Even though XP won't use it all (say 3.3GB with a 4GB installed) you'll likely want 4GB.

If you have 1GB (2x512MB) and 4 RAM slots then just add 2x1GB.

**Double check your motherboard manual to see the maximum you can install.

timi-style

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

No there's no beep. I just hear the fans woking like usual but it doesnt show anything on the screen.

Graphics card:
Wait and get the ATI RV740 which should be out really soon:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/rade [...] ew-test/12

There is no chance for me to go with ATI. I'm one of those Nvidia boys ^^

RAM:
Definitely more RAM. Even though XP won't use it all (say 3.3GB with a 4GB installed) you'll likely want 4GB.

If you have 1GB (2x512MB) and 4 RAM slots then just add 2x1GB.

**Double check your motherboard manual to see the maximum you can install.

My mobo has 2 slots DDR2 and it max is 4gb. I have only 1x1gb ram I'm going to install 1x2gb ram. I know it can make problems but I talked with the saler and he garanted me that they make it work fine. And if not I can take more stuff for cheaper :p.

For the price of RAM these days, I'd get get 2x2GB. You will only see just over 3GB with a 512MB video card in a 32-bit Operating System but I can tell you going from 2GB to 3GB does make a difference.

Going from 1GB to 2GB is a huge difference.

Remember, your CPU will limit how much benefit a graphics card can provide. I'd go no higher than the ATIHD4770 or the NVidia equivalent.

If you must go NVidia, wait for a newer 40nm card. Again, look at the benchmarks as spending $500 will give you a card your CPU can't keep up with (so no performance benefit except more noise and heat)