Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on a blu-ray player please

Last response: in Storage
November 1, 2010 1:11:53 PM

Hi I am looking for a blu-ray player.

I have PowerDVD 8 but it does not play blu-ray (it gives me blue screen of death with nvlddmkm.sys error). I have tried WinDVD and Arcsoft Media Theatre Standard but they say "media not supported" for blu-ray.

Any advice on a blu-ray player?

More about : advice blu ray player

a b G Storage
November 1, 2010 1:34:01 PM

That BSOD you mentioned is a very common issue. First get rid of that. Just follow the steps given in this link. Read the full guide for better idea of what needs to be done.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2615093/techti...

What Optical drive do you have now? Please mention the brand and model.
November 1, 2010 2:25:23 PM

My optical drive says it is an ATAPI iHOS104 ATA Device. I am running Win 7 64-bit.

The BSOD only occurs on PowerDVD everything else works fine. I appreciate your help though the issue is a little different from the error in the link you posted (it references 0x0000007E) although relating to the same file, it's like the issue described here:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=180298

I did try renaming the file as described in the link but it just gave me standard graphics at low resolution.
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 1, 2010 3:01:50 PM

Your optical drive is a DVD player not a blue ray one. So you would need a proper blue ray one. Get a good drive from Sony or Asus.
November 1, 2010 3:15:23 PM

I may have read the wrong optical drive from Device Manager. The other one is a TSST corp CDDVDW SH-S223C ATA Device.

One of them should be a blu-ray drive because I purchased an off-the-shelf iReign PC from Novatech which came with a blu-ray drive, and one of the drives says "Blu-ray" on the front!
a b G Storage
November 1, 2010 3:22:05 PM

Look at this link, do you see Blu Ray anywhere. Looks like you have been fooled. Google with the model number. You would get to know that it is not a Blu Ray drive.
November 1, 2010 3:48:13 PM

Googled the model number and it says it is Blu-ray capable:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002EE996Q/ref=asc_df_B002EE99...

Windows Explorer calls it a "BD-ROM drive" and PowerDVD Diagnostics says my computer has a blu-ray drive and passes all the requirements to play blu-rays. I'm fairly certain Novatech haven't pulled a fast one on me...

So can anyone recommend a blu-ray player?
November 1, 2010 4:13:16 PM

Yeah that one's a DVD-RW. The other one is the Blu-ray drive.

Can anyone please recommend software to let me play blu-rays?
a b G Storage
November 1, 2010 6:45:00 PM

i use PowerDVD 10
November 1, 2010 8:42:49 PM

I can try that. It's powerDVD giving me the problem. Are there any blu-ray players other than PowerDVD?
November 1, 2010 10:17:30 PM

Windows Media Player can play blu-ray?

My Windows Update says Windows is up to date, so does that mean the codec 7 pack is up to date too? I will give it a try :) 
November 2, 2010 9:09:12 AM

Power DVD 8 and Windows 7 do not like each other. Upgrade to Power DVD 10 to fix the issue.
November 2, 2010 10:49:50 AM

Thank you that's very helpful.
November 2, 2010 10:52:18 AM

Though I should add the Windows Media Codecs link does not work for Windows 7. Perhaps my Windows Media Player has automatically downloaded the codec? I will try next time I get a blu-ray
a b G Storage
November 2, 2010 2:50:11 PM

Deathwing1983 said:
I have PowerDVD 8 but it does not play blu-ray (it gives me blue screen of death with nvlddmkm.sys error). I have tried WinDVD and Arcsoft Media Theatre Standard but they say "media not supported" for blu-ray.

Any advice on a blu-ray player?
Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre Platinum is required for blu-ray. Standard doesn't support BD. I've been using TMT for 3 years now and it is the best from my experience. Newegg carries the platinum version as a download for $60.

dEAne said:
Yes Windows Media can play blu-ray. This is the codecs if you prefer the windows media instead - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?Fami...
I'm not so sure about the codec pack you linked. The date on it is 13-Dec-2004, before both Windows 7 and blu-ray. I'm not aware of any way to get blu-rays to play natively in WMC or WMP. Third party software is required AFAIK. VLC player will play the m2ts files on a BD I believe, but no menu support.

!