Sign in with
Your question

I can't decide between these 2 Motherboards.

Last response: in Systems
April 3, 2009 2:40:28 AM

I was wondering if you folks could give me some input? I ordered a Phenomx4 9600. I will be running a Radeon XT1950 for video. OS Will be Windows XP Pro. I've narrowed my board choices to these two, please help me decide:

Giga-byte GA-MA78GM-S2H Motherboard

vs

Asus M3A76-CM

Thanks for the help!

More about : decide motherboards

April 3, 2009 2:48:34 AM

Any other motherboard recommendations are also welcome. Price cap is $100US. Prefer lower.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2009 5:48:07 AM

Well since i assume you are looking at mATX AMD motherboards i will suggest you have an online research at users of Biostar TA790GX XE and thhe clocks they are getting on 940/720BE! Great price too hehe Newegg has some owners' feedback as well
Related resources
April 3, 2009 1:38:47 PM

I suggest you forget about ending up with a decent PC.

with your budget your not going to get there. the 9600 is a poor performing cpu and the only amd mobo's you should go with are the 790's and they start at $135.

Also the GPU is poor and OS extremely limiting unless you are just using it for internet etc where a E5200 and G31 mobo would do, infact it might perform slightly better at some things since the cache amounts are even and it has a higher clock.
April 3, 2009 4:38:27 PM

Gee alot of folks seem to think I'm going to be disappointed.

I based my choice of cpu on the tomshardware rating from one of the benchmarks. I don't overclock. So that's not an issue.

My current cpu is a celeron, running on a no name motherboard, with the radeon xt 1950 shoved in there it does almost everything I want it to do. In some games I play fps drops regardless of what the graphics are set at, I determined this must be due to cpu/memory speed, as if it was gpu lowering quality would help.

I mostly play world of warcraft, sometimes I play command and conquer renegade, I emulate an NES sometimes and I'm a big fan of old point and click adventure games like Rex Nebular and Noctropolis.

Still think I'm going to be disappointed?

Not everyone has to have the latest and greatest and most overclocked.

I still play the same games now that I was playing when I had my Athlon 2000 and the Shuttle Mainboard(great mobo btw) running a radeon 9800 pro.

I really doubt I'll be disappointed stepping up to a quad core of any kind, I mainly just want the darn thing to work without bios upgrades, I want to be able to disable the TLB erratum thing, and cool and quiet needs to be able to be turned off.

Thanks for the info on the 780, I will look at it.
April 3, 2009 4:46:55 PM

batuchka said:
Well since i assume you are looking at mATX AMD motherboards i will suggest you have an online research at users of Biostar TA790GX XE and thhe clocks they are getting on 940/720BE! Great price too hehe Newegg has some owners' feedback as well

I looked this one up, it looks nice. I like the fact that the manufacturer plainly states support for my cpu. Only 99 bucks too, not bad. Anyone have any better suggestions?
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a c 88 V Motherboard
April 3, 2009 8:29:08 PM

The 9600 is from the first generation of Phenoms and had a fault that AMD didnt spot until after they were in production . Its about 10 % slower than it was designed to be because it has to use system memory instead of the cache built in to the cpu .

If you are happy with its ranking in the performance charts then thats fine . They wont ever be top end cpu's , but the price is low and theyre worth it, and definitely a step up from your celeron

A 780 based board is a very good choice . It gives you upgrade options in the future .
April 4, 2009 1:58:30 AM

Outlander_04 said:
The 9600 is from the first generation of Phenoms and had a fault that AMD didnt spot until after they were in production . Its about 10 % slower than it was designed to be because it has to use system memory instead of the cache built in to the cpu .

If you are happy with its ranking in the performance charts then thats fine . They wont ever be top end cpu's , but the price is low and theyre worth it, and definitely a step up from your celeron

A 780 based board is a very good choice . It gives you upgrade options in the future .

Thats the TLB Erratum thing right? Where you get a blue screen if you try to use the l2 cache? Tomshardware said it was so rare they had never seen it, and they tested alot of them. In the BIOS you can re-enable the cache on most mobos, if I do so, and it crashes, I'll just send it back.

From this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/system-builder-mara...

"Second, we weren't interested in lowered performance, so we turned off the 'Phenom TLB Erratum patch' in the BIOS. For those of you who don't know, AMD's first batch of Phenom processors have a bug that, in extremely rare conditions, can manifest itself in a crash. This bug is called the 'Phenom TLB Erratum', and has been fixed with a patch in the BIOS of most Phenom motherboards. Unfortunately, since the patch shuts off the Phenom's important L2 cache it results in a notable performance drop.

On some boards - like our Gigabyte MA78GM - this patch can easily be turned off in the BIOS, allowing the Phenom to work at its full potential, which is what we did. Those of you who find this disturbing should know that the Phenom's TLB erratum is so rare that we've never seen it manifest itself in testing, and the system never crashed once while we subjected it to our punishing benchmark suite."
April 4, 2009 2:07:33 AM

Quote:
I cant imagine what benchmark you saw that would persuade you to buy an Agena 9600. :pt1cable: 

You dont need a high-end 790GX for a slouch like the 9600 Agena. ANY AM2+ MOBO WILL SUPPORT 9600, ITS AN OLD PROCESSOR.
Seeing your definately a "budget" guy, I'd go with the 780G for $60-65, it'll even run the newer Phenom 2's, so after your disappointed with your 9600 you can get a real processor later.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-780g-chipset,17...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

How about you just keep your snobby high-handed advice to yourself from now on.
April 5, 2009 1:13:41 PM

First off, buddy, when you talk like this, and insult someone every other line don't expect anyone to listen to you. And I'm taking plenty of advice, on the question I asked. I've researched every mobo suggested. You'd just rather be a prick and insult my cpu instead of answering the question at hand. FYI some of this is about TLB erratum.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2009 7:23:41 PM

Going to have to agree that you would be better off with a faster dual core. Most benchmarks have shown that dual cores with higher clocks are more efficient in application not optimized for mulit-threading. Also the 780G is a fine motherboard (especially considering the price) for normal (non-gaming) computer use. I've got one in a computer i built for my girlfriends mom and it has been great.
April 6, 2009 11:34:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I was wondering if you folks could give me some input? I ordered a Phenomx4 9600.

He doesnt want to hear it jsrudd, he asked, but doesnt want to hear it.

When did I ever ask about the CPU? Moron. It's what I have, I asked about the motherboard. You saw a chance to act high and mighty by bring the CPU into it. I'm sorry my daddy can't buy me the best CPU, I work for a living.
!