Equipment
---------
Board - GA-EP45-DS3R
CPU - Core 2 Duo 6400
OS - Win 7 x64 Ultimate
Graphics - Radeon HD 4870 512mb
Ram - OCZ2G8004GK DDR2 PC2 6400
Timing - 5-5-5
Volate - 1.8v on 2 sticks, 1.9 on the other 2.

So basically, If I have 2 sticks in (2gigs each for a total of 4g,) the OS will run.

If I put in the other 2 (or even just one more) the OS will ruin for a while then blue screen of death with a memory dump.

Given that two sticks run at 1.8v and the other two at 1.9 volt, I've tried changing the settings to accommodate, but with no luck.

(I haven't tried changing the channel a or channel b reference voltages. I don't know how to use those.)

I've tried the ram pretty much in every slot combination and it hoses up any time I breach into the 6g realm. I also flashed the bios to the newest version with no luck.

Of note, at times when rebooting it will get caught in a neverending power cycle. It will only boot after pulling the plug for a few seconds and plug it back in.

Am I missing some bios setting for x64? Like I said I can get it to recognize 6 gigs and 8gigs, but windows bluescreens after 5-10 minutes every time :[

Any help would be super great guys. Thanks!

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
You need to use matched memory.
Alternatively some motherboards you have to lower the settings to use all the memory slots.
ie relax the timings /possibly lower the speed.

sylcat

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
The bios is a bit confusing on how to change timings. bring 5-5-5 to 4-4-4 or something?
Bring 800mh to 633? (seems like these would be cutting a lot of speed away.

It looks like I can also change the reference voltages for "channel a" and "channel b"
Would that be somethign to go after?

This is all unknown territoy for me. I was under the impressions 4 sticks of ddr2 ram of the same make and model number would work together. :) Silly me

funguseater

Distinguished
Hi, have you ran memtest on this board with this ram in all configurations?

You might want to set your ram timings manually and check to see if your Bios has advanced settings to change even more timings, my GB board won't properly read SPD info, although I am using 4 different sticks of various speeds from different manuf. :)

sylcat

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

Do you have each individual stick set up in the bios? (Using the same board as me?) Maybe you could help me make sense of the advanced settings in the gigabyte bios.

I've definitely tried all the configurations. Nothing I've tried with voltage has worked, but if anyone has suggestions to go with the hardware I've mentioned I'll be more than willing to try. Some of the timing and advanced settings in the bios are totally greek to me. I do appreciate the help

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Why do you have 2 rated at 1.8 while the other 2 rated at 1.9?
Are they the same RAMs? Can you be more specific and give more details? I have the same board, maybe I could help, but only if I can get more details from you.

sylcat

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

It's very odd, I know. I bought them at different times, but they are all the exact same model from OCZ.
I bought one pack about 3 months ago and they were 1.8v. I didn't even pay attention to the voltage, so when I bought the second pack (1.9v) I didn't even notice. I was just looking to make sure the model numbers matched exactly.

I did some research and it appears that they all have the ability to run at 1.8v, so theoretically it shouldn't matter, since I left the tweaker at 1.8 v.

Picking and pulling ram, it looks like one of my sticks is bad. It causes crazy errors and bluescreens every time it's in, even solo. I've now gotten 6 gigs detecting and running stable for a day now. I don't trust it yet because I *thought* I had those very sticks in together before and got bluescreens. I'll be monitoring the outcome and I will report back. Thanks for all the help thus far, gents.