Overcooling?

Axeon

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Hi I have this really bad Dell C521 slimline ( i know, i wasn't thinking when i bought it lol) I want to increase airflow for my 8400GS card thats in there do you think this plan will work? The diagram for my idea is the attached pic lol. Thanks

c521-1.jpg

Axeon

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I dunno my CPU temps lol, just in the 26-38 range. The video card is 67 Degrees Celcius ambiet and 90-100 under load. The CPU is a AMD 5000+

67C idle. Ambient temp would be the temp in your room where the PC is.

Check your diagram with a "flutter test". The rear fan should be sucking air OUT of the case, not in.

Also - try testing the CPU and GPU temps with that black shroud removed.

Your best bet might be to change out the rear fan with a higher performance fan.

Axeon

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Yes, there is a fan in front of the huge HSF and shroud. There is also no fan at the back, this is a slimline case. My thinking was to take the air that the 90mm fan was blowing across to the HSF and use another 80mm fan behind the heatsink to suck that air to blow it in a straight faishion to cool the GPU too.

PS: My mistake i did mean Ilde lol. :)

It's not a bad idea. It would help to replace that front 90mm fan with one that has a higher CFM, just don't get one that's too noisy of course ^_^. Boy let me tell you, a Tornado Fan seems like a good idea at the time, until you put it in and your ears inform you that it's not :D.

Axeon

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Lol, thanks. But its not possible i've tried it. The fan connector on the dell mobo is 5-pin instead of 3 and if the fan is disconnected the computer will warn you on each restart.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
I assume the gpu is passively cooled? If so, then just attach a fan to the heatsink so that it blows air directly onto it. No need to worry about airflow direction. Even a low cfm quiet fan should help a lot.

Axeon

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Thanks for the help guys! This is a real bad drawing of my case with the airflow diagram can anyone confirm to see if this will work? Thanks

Diagram.jpg

Axeon

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I was think about screwing it in or glueing or taping it. The heatsink is a bit different its more open. Maybe a tie strap?

A tie strap might work. You'd want something you could undo fairly easily too.
You just dont want a fan setting up against anything that might be damaged by vibrations - motherboard components, mostly.

Axeon

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Thanks WR2, what would you say is "too low" for a cpu temp? I'm starting to think of puting a 80mm fan on the outside of the case instead