Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX 295 OC

Last response: in Overclocking
December 15, 2010 4:24:37 PM

Hey everyone,

Looking to get some extra performance out of my EVGA GTX295. I've had EVGA Precision installed for some time but haven't really toyed with it that much. I also have the understanding that my 295 will not OC very well as EVGA's voltage adjustment tool does not support my specific sub-model of the GTX 295 (I believe the dual-PCB cards are the only ones supported).

So, I have a few questions:

1.) Could you all please give me some general guidelines as to what I need to watch for when OC'ing this card? I know the basics, monitor temps, look for artifacts, etc, but are there any other indicators of instability that I need to watch out for?

2.) Does anyone know of a tool out there that will allow me to modify GPU voltages without doing a BIOS flash to the card? Does RivaTuner have this capability?

3.) What exactly am I adjusting here? There's the core, shader, and memory clocks, but I haven't the slightest clue how all of these metrics come together and how I should adjust them. Are there certain ratios to take into account? IE - Do I need to adjust the three together?

Any and all help/criticism is greatly appreciated.

Also, here's a bouncing green thing. Because I felt like it. :bounce: 

More about : gtx 295

December 15, 2010 6:41:59 PM

sorry - i just posted the same post right above this one !!!
I am looking for the same answers really - the tool i use is rivatuner as i get a blue screen when i use ntune - i did use it once before and it was great but ever since a machine rebuild i have lost the ability to use this tool
m
l
December 15, 2010 6:48:41 PM

psychoteddy - i see we have seen each others threads - do you know how to combine them ??
m
l
Related resources
December 15, 2010 6:53:10 PM

Well, my thread asks a couple of different questions than yours. I think they'll be ok as separate threads. ;) 
m
l
December 16, 2010 11:09:17 AM

Come on guys... Nothing? It's a GTX 295, I'm sure at least ONE of you has some input considering it was the flagship card for nVidia for a long time! :( 
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 16, 2010 11:44:03 AM

Your not going to find any programs to modify your voltage, you simply can't do it with your card. I moved over to MSI Afterburner from EVGA Precision, I think it's a little better, but both are good. Rivatuner has an option to scan for artifacts, I also like to run 3dmark to make sure it can claw through it with out crashing.

You can adjust the core and shader together or individually. I like to adjust one setting at a time to it's highest stable value, then move on to the next. That way you will know what is the problem and will be easy to correct.
December 16, 2010 11:56:24 AM

Best answer selected by PsychoTeddy.
m
l
December 16, 2010 12:19:15 PM

Thank you so much, that's all I needed :D 

:bounce: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 16, 2010 12:36:45 PM

NP YW
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 286 K Overclocking
December 16, 2010 6:34:58 PM

sportsfanboy said:
Your not going to find any programs to modify your voltage, you simply can't do it with your card. I moved over to MSI Afterburner from EVGA Precision, I think it's a little better, but both are good. Rivatuner has an option to scan for artifacts, I also like to run 3dmark to make sure it can claw through it with out crashing.

You can adjust the core and shader together or individually. I like to adjust one setting at a time to it's highest stable value, then move on to the next. That way you will know what is the problem and will be easy to correct.

That's not totally true.
m
l
December 16, 2010 6:36:20 PM

saint19 said:
That's not totally true.

Care to elaborate?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 16, 2010 6:39:20 PM

Software to change voltage for a GTX 295? I know some software does let you change voltage if the hardware of the card and the driver allows it. I'm pretty sure the GTX 295 has no such options.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 286 K Overclocking
December 16, 2010 6:40:42 PM

nivitor can do magic :) 
m
l
December 16, 2010 6:43:25 PM

saint19 said:
nivitor can do magic :) 

I will try that. Thanks :D 

Have a zombie :cry: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 16, 2010 6:46:18 PM

Saint that's a bios tweak program that's what he asked, if he can do it with out flashing the bios.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 286 K Overclocking
December 16, 2010 6:47:19 PM

Psychoteddy said:
I will try that. Thanks :D 

Have a zombie :cry: 

That requires modify the GPU BIOS and maybe update the GPU BIO,so, if you aren't comfortable with that, forget my comments and keep the sportsfanboy answer.
m
l
December 16, 2010 6:47:38 PM

Yeah no BIOS tweaking. This card has a lifetime warranty on it that covers whatever I do from software but not with the ROM.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 286 K Overclocking
December 16, 2010 6:52:09 PM

As soon as you change the voltage, the warranty will be void, so, keep the sportsfanboy's answer and use MSI Afterburner to OC your GPU.
m
l
!