Bulldozer to have a SMT variant? Maybe better?

royalcrown

Distinguished
Thing is Jaydee, that if the "balanced" platform is slower than the "unbalanced" platform for what I do most of the time. I'll take the unbalanced platform and suffer the small percentage of time I use it outside of my normal usage pattern.

The only reason AMD started with this "balanced platform" and "fusion" crap is because of the core architecture. AMD started pushing balance and value once it was apparent they were no longer able to compete on raw performance.

That said, I happen to like AMD chipsets over Intel, they are so much more trouble free and even tempered. Especially with things like ACPI and S3 state.

Balanced, well thats marketing. Spending 5 billion for future direction of normal computer usage is insightful. Not unlike whatever LRB is costing Intel? Lets not be distracted by possible future trends here. We all must acknowledge theres alot of truth as to how gpgpu will effect our computing future, and thus these huge investments.
Everyones heard the CUDA mantra from nVidia etc, theyre investing their entire future on it, so, it is valid. It has nothing to do with Intel. Actually, if Intel dropped LRB, would that be because C2D is so good?

royalcrown

Distinguished

I'm not stating that it's a bad thing, just why AMD started pushing "balance" so hard...

royalcrown

Distinguished

I think, because they could NOT claim top performance anymore, they had to push SOMETHING ELSE.

While thats a valid point, no one else has the complete package, and to me, that takes precedence over the current fastest whatever.
When they had the gfx lead with the x2, they didnt push it, they still pushed the platform thing. ???