New computer wiring help/guide?

willits479

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Im building a computer and ive pretty much have everything installed but the wiring is so confusing. I think i have most of the stuff right but im not too sure and i dont want to try to start it up and completely fry my computer...if that is possible. I have a XFX 750i sli nFORCE motherboard if that helps anyone trying to help. so if anyone knows of any online website that has a wiring guide a link to that website would be great....

Also can i use the wires that you connect straight from the PSU to the other devices? for EX) from the video card to the PSU...or do u have to use the cables provided by the video card?

anyones help would be great.
THanks

You have a motherboard manual .

the 24 pin power connector from the power supply plugs into the mb

the 4 0r 8 pin power connector from the power supply plugs in to the mb .

Power leads need to plug in to hard drive , optical drive etc . The data cables need to connect from these devices to the mb .

The front panel headers will connect POWER , power led , reset , hdd activity led. Follow the manual . The leads will be clearly marked . The leds wont go if the polarity is wrong but that wont damage anything . Just reverse the wires if they dont light up .
There will be a small speaker either in the case or with the case . Little black thing with 2 wires hanging out . That will plug in somewhere near the front panel connectors . Its very useful to have this in place . It will make that nice single short beep to tell you your computer can POST

Check your power supply is set to the correct voltage . Some cheap ones have a switch to change between 110 V and 230 volt supply . If it doesnt have this on the back it sets its self and you are ok .

Now plug it in and press the button .

[ if there are sparks and huge explosion that flattens your house it was your fault :p ]

The cables provided with the video card are in case your PSU is an older one that doesn't have the 6 (or 6+2) pin PCIE power connector. You would use a pair of molex connectors from different wires and connect the 6-pin end into your graphics card.
This is NOT the same thing as, and not interchangeable with, the 4 or 8 pin CPU power connector. They are keyed differently so it should be difficult or impossible to switch them, but this is probably the easiest way to bake something.

willits479

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
ya i got all the easy stuff down and i think i got everything set up now i just gotta organize all the wires in there cause they are all over the place

thanks for yalls help

jpdykes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
I don't know what case you are using willits but you can sometimes run all the cables up behind the motherboard tray and though some openings on the back of the case - requires you to take the back panel off and make use of cable ties.

It looks good when you get it all sorted but is more faffy than the just-plug-it-in method.