Getting very low fps in games

abhi_jollyguy

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Hello everybody

I need some help regarding getting low fps in games like left4Dead, prototype.

My System Configuration is as follows:

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula(X38 chipset)

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850(3.0 Ghz @ stock)

RAM: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX

Graphic Card: MSI N275GTX TWIN FROZR OC

PSU: CoolerMaster Real Power M520W

LCD: ViewSonic 1926w (19-inch Widescreen)

I am getting 15-25 fps in left4Dead with all very high settings and 35-40 fps with mid high and low settings, same thing is happening in Prototype game with V-Sync off. But In some trusted sites like guru3d, tomshardware and overclockersclub, they are getting over 100 fps in this game. What could be the problem ?

I am using the latest version of Display Driver for my Video card

Please help me as soon as possible, im so worried and confused.

Is there any kind of bottlenecking or something else ?

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Your specs are more than enough to play both games flawlessly..I run them both @ 1920x1080+highest settings on 8800GT 512mb and E6750 @ 3.6Ghz (stock:2.66ghz) no problem..
1. If you suspect your CPU @ 3.0 ghz is a bottleneck monitor the cpu usage during the game, if 90%+ then it is the problem..You can also try OCing it and see the result..The source engine (L4D, HL2) is known to be cpu-dependent..
2. Does all the games suffer from the same problem? Or just the two you mentioned?
3. When you upgraded your display driver did you clean up with driver cleaner or driver sweeper in safe mode first? This could be a driver conflict issue.
4. Do you use the same system to surf the web? Some viruses can significantly slow down the fastest system.
5. To make sure your cpu is properly identified use cpu-z..If not update the mobo's bios.
6. Did you try benchmarking with 3Dmark06 for example? What did you get?
7. Your issue can also be caused by the PSU not supplying enough juice for the GFX card forcing it to switch to lower power mode. Can you try another PSU?

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Your right with that card you should be getting at least 100 fps with 4ff, 8af at 1680x1050. The E6850 is a good chip but but for that game a quad would be better, and if your not already 64 bit OS.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
No, something's seriously wrong.

I'm getting better FPS than you but I remember using an Athlon64 X2 6400 + Radeon 4850. What resolution are you using? I'm using 1680x1050.

Here's my suggestions :

- Update your video card drivers, drivers included with Windows are trash. Did you download the drivers from NVidia? Don't use drivers that come from Windows Update.
- Heck, update the drivers in every hardware in your system. Not thru Windows update but thru the invidiual hardware vendors.
-

abhi_jollyguy

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009

I will check all u have suggested me to find out the problem

abhi_jollyguy

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009

The drivers and the BIOS of my card are up-to-date

abhi_jollyguy

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009

Yes, I have downloaded the driver from www.nvidia.com

Helper_29

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Hi there. I didn't want to start a new thread but I am not sure whether this the right place to right this. Anyway I hope it is and I also hope that i will get some help.

The problem is, I got only 20-25 fps in Cross Fire with medium setting and with low at about 40-45, while in DC universe I am lagging like hell. I have:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T6600
4BG DDR3 RAM, 400GB HDD
Fusion Finish with Sonic Pattern in Black Onyx.

What can I do to get better fps? Please help me.

Thanks.

OP, if your getting the same fps regardles of rez and settings, it normally means bottlenecking...
the 275 will bottleneck on lower end core 2 duo's under 2.4 with 667/800ram.
take a base line of your current games. try each and set your games to high, medum, and low taking care to get the minimum and max fps (fraps will help with this)
then overclock your cpu by 200mhz only and if you get a jump across the board in fps you know you have a bottleneck.
if theres a big jump in fps turn the ram back to stock if it auto oc'd when you bump the cpu... if the fps stays the same (but increased from the original baseline) then its a purley cpu based bottleneck. if you get a drop then its a system wide bottleneck where you will need to upgrade the cpu and ram...

absorber

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

1. Need to know your graphics cards
2. don't reply here; start a new thread, but next time provide more info.

mucles

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
I had this problem too, I just solved it, I have a AMD Radeon HD 6770 and in the first 2 days I was playing Fifa 12 @ 60 fps(locked at 60 fps) and just 2 days from now it started to drop to 30 fps, and the temperatures were higher than 60c.. I was just: DAFUQ? then I searched the whole inthernet, and found the answer.
I found that the AMD Catalyst 12.6 was using my graphics card at 99%, that means it's in full load.
So I uninstalled the drivers, and instaled the ones from the CD that came with the video card.
I suggest u to do the same.
Hope I helped you :D

Pearlmam

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
"2. Does all the games suffer from the same problem? Or just the two you mentioned? " --Avatar

If it only happens in these few games, The game may need a defrag. This was a problem for me at one point with a steam game. The other games worked fine. I still don't really know what that means, because I have an SSD, but defraging the game in the steam menu did the trick for me.