Question about cpu & mobo temperature.. Help guys.

ak47carbine

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
My first time to assemble a x58 system , model ga x58 ud3r.. My problem is , the north , south bridge gets easily hot. 0nly after 15mins. Is that normal? And my cpu , system temperature reaches 50c ,.Although I havent overclock my cpu and system yet. Is it normal to a x58 system?.. Thank you.

funguseater

Distinguished
the i7 comes with a sub par cooling solution in my opinion. Are you OC'ing your CPU? and is there a good amount of airflow through your case?

50c or more is quite normal for i7 under load but I would highly suggest an aftermarket cooling solution. I use the Coolermaster hyper 212+ its cheap and ranks right up with the best HS.

ak47carbine

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
As i said i didnt oc my i7 920. It idles @ 50c . Lolz..
On load . I havent tested it yet.. What software should i use?
The southbridge gets too hot.. Itz bothering me x( .. It might fire up my system.. H0pe im wrong.

funguseater

Distinguished
Whoops sorry bout the OC... I use Speedfan but since you have i7 you should use Real Temp, although there are a lot of monitor software out there. Some i7 CPU's get up to 70c under load and your chipset can survive up to 80c-85c (probly not too good for it though eh)

Check out your chipset temps with Real Temp and case temps. Gigabyte makes awesome boards IMO I use the GA790x-UD4P for my Ph II X4 720, and I OC the heck out of it. But like I said air flow in the case is important for those heatpipes to cool everything down.

so 1) check out Real Temp (its free whoo hoo)
2) make sure lots of air can flow past your south/northbridge heatsinks.
3) after you adjust to high temp computing ;) download Prime95 and give your system a good stress test. You will feel better.

ak47carbine

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
I havent yet put it in the case. But im using my electric fan Through it..The southbridge is bothering me.. Itz getting really hot.. Is that normal with a pcie card to it?. And what is the normal temp of cpu? Not oc'ed and using stock cooler.

G

A-ok my Xeon P35 UD3R based server has been running 24x7 for 2years with Northbridge temperature ranging between 49-63C depending on room temp. Not a single problem

-charles