Sign in with
Your question

First PC build

Last response: in Systems
April 3, 2009 9:46:51 AM

mobo: EVGA 132-BL-E758-TR x58 SLI Mainboard with Intel LGA 1366 chipset

cpu: i7-920

gpu: EVGA 01G-P3-1285-AR GeForce GTX285 Super Clocked Edition 1GB GDDR3 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card

ram: OCZ OCZ3P1333LV6GK DDR3 PC3-10666 1333 MHz 6GB Platinum XTC Triple Channel Kits

sound card: PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series

hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II WD1001FALS

case: Anutec Nine Hundred Two

power supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7

operating system: Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Alright, that is what I have planned so far. First of all, there is no optical drive listed, and that is because I can't find a decent one. I am looking for just a normal CD/DVD reader, I really don't even care if it is a burner or not. I just need something that will last and work properly.
Second, is there anything I am missing? Are there any other small parts or cables that I will need to put the PC together?
Any other advice is welcomed too. :hello: 

More about : build

April 3, 2009 9:55:11 AM

First of all, how can we give advice if you don't tell anything about the usage of your new system? Just that it's your first build, and quite exotic. Do you really need such a powerful though also power-hungry system? For only half the price you can build a system with 80% of the performance. So it would be good to know what priorities you give to things like price-performance ratio.

As for the optical drive, just take a SATA DVD burner, only the interface is really important. They should be cheap, about 30 euro over here.

Honestly, i dislike expensive components when much cheaper components are able to deliver comparable results. For example, do you need a seperate sound card when your mobo has S/PDIF?
April 3, 2009 11:26:34 AM

Translucency said:
First of all, how can we give advice if you don't tell anything about the usage of your new system? Just that it's your first build, and quite exotic. Do you really need such a powerful though also power-hungry system? For only half the price you can build a system with 80% of the performance. So it would be good to know what priorities you give to things like price-performance ratio.

As for the optical drive, just take a SATA DVD burner, only the interface is really important. They should be cheap, about 30 euro over here.

Honestly, i dislike expensive components when much cheaper components are able to deliver comparable results. For example, do you need a seperate sound card when your mobo has S/PDIF?

Who cares, if people have money let them use it. So your saying for example if the GTX 295 is out and then i get the 275, and then the 300 comes out, and i get the 295, it makes no sense.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 3, 2009 11:41:17 AM

All the cables that you will need should come in the motherboard box.

I don't think Antec case comes with the small system speaker. At least my 900 didn't.

DVD burner - Used to really like Plextor's, but they're too expensive now. My first choice is Samsung. Where I cannot find Samsung (Saudi Arabia, for example), next choice is LG. I've heard and seen mixed reviews for LITEON drives.

New build checklist:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-build-post-...

Got through it while you are waiting for your parts.

If you are going to overclock, the stock heatsink is inadequate. The Xigmatek HDT S-1283V is very popular around here. If you are going to use that kind of heatsink, here's suggestions for applying the thermal compound:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
April 3, 2009 1:05:29 PM

Translucency said:

Ooops, sorry about that. I guess that's what happens when I make posts that early in the morning. The PC will be used mostly for just surfing the net and talking online; however, I do plan on getting into some PC games. I have never really played them before, so I can't say how much I will play them. I might end up getting Crysis because I already have both COD for Xbox 360, but I still want to get a shooter for PC.

I also don't really have any plans to OC the system.
April 3, 2009 1:22:14 PM

Thats a bit overkill for your usage.

Save a bit and get a PC based on the Phenom II 920 with a 790 + 750 chipset board and a 4890 graphics card along with 1066mhz ddr2 ram. It'll save you a tonne of money and will perform quite close in games as long as you don't use two graphics cards.

Also you don't need the sound card unless you have a 7.1 speaker setup and if you go with my build you won't need anything more than a PCP&C 610w PSU.
April 4, 2009 9:55:53 AM

Indeed. And even if he had a 7.1 setup, S/PDIF could transmit that via AC3 encoding, so basically your motherboard has a digital audio output with higher quality (100% fidelity) than any analog output is able to. For free.

Sure, you can buy an expensive PC. But i have to agree fully that building a "monster PC" for a bit surfing and some gaming is totally overkill. You'd be far better off building a game system like Hellworld_98 described, and using the money you save to buy a new graphics card when something big comes out.

In other words, use the leftover money to keep your system up to date. Spending loads of money on an expensive system will not make that computer system significantly better. At one time you're paying a serious amount for only a small performance gain.
April 4, 2009 2:02:30 PM

Agreed - that's way overkill for a regular use box.

You get get away with a much cheaper build and never notice the difference.

I'd say ditch the sound card and use the integrated sound. If it's not good enough, crack open the case and install the sound card later.

+1 for a cheaper system and using the $$$ to keep it up to date.
April 4, 2009 2:07:28 PM

The only way you'd see the difference is if you have 20/20 eyes or better and had a trumotion screen which doesn't put out black screens.
April 4, 2009 10:30:14 PM

carbontsx said:
mobo: EVGA 132-BL-E758-TR x58 SLI Mainboard with Intel LGA 1366 chipset

cpu: i7-920

gpu: EVGA 01G-P3-1285-AR GeForce GTX285 Super Clocked Edition 1GB GDDR3 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card

ram: OCZ OCZ3P1333LV6GK DDR3 PC3-10666 1333 MHz 6GB Platinum XTC Triple Channel Kits

sound card: PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series

hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II WD1001FALS

case: Anutec Nine Hundred Two

power supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7

operating system: Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Alright, that is what I have planned so far. First of all, there is no optical drive listed, and that is because I can't find a decent one. I am looking for just a normal CD/DVD reader, I really don't even care if it is a burner or not. I just need something that will last and work properly.
Second, is there anything I am missing? Are there any other small parts or cables that I will need to put the PC together?
Any other advice is welcomed too. :hello: 

Looks like a top system to be honest. What about thermal compound or CPU heatsink? Are you using the Intel stock heatsink? Personally I like the Noctua U12P SE1366 kit, very well thought out and not too heavy either - too heavy and it can warp the board, even attached bolted from the bottom. FYI, I use the Noctua NT-H1 thermal compound.

For the PSU, good choice but have you considered a modular type? In other words one where you can plug in only the cables you need? They are great, I have the Seasonic M12D PSU, a bit pricey but it's modular and the less cables the better. Just an idea for you to consider.

For the sound card, if you're not a heavy games user right now, you could likely back-off slightly and get the XtremeGamer or XtremeMusic cards, they are about $40 cheaper.

You may want to check if EVGA has a RAM compatibility chart, make sure your RAM is compatible on that board. Althought it's likely you copied that RAM model from other people who have the same board, but it would be good to check.

For burner I chose the Pioneer 216DBK, plain black front on it. Mainly due to the fact the prior version, the 215 produces excellent burns with good media compatibility, and Pioneer still issues firmware updates for their burner.
April 5, 2009 6:21:37 AM

I'll second the Pioneer DVD. Not too picky on media, doesn't make many coasters.

No monitor size mentioned, so no way to comment on the GPU. But if the monitor is not 24" or larger, that GPU is a bit of an expensive overkill. Even at 19x12 a 275 would suffice.
April 5, 2009 9:10:32 PM

The monitor I will be using is a 40" 1080p Samsung LCD TV.

I will look into building a cheaper system as well, but if the price isn't that much different, I might as well stick with the more powerful one.

Does the fact that I will be using a 40" TV for a monitor make any difference?

Thanks for all the help so far guys, I really appreciate it!
!