Where do i plug in the E-sata wire from case onto the mobo?

replicat0r

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
i got the cm690 case.. on the top panel its got a E-sata connector..

i dont know where it goes. the wire is red and got a flat head.

i have the gigabyte 790x UD4P mobo..

i have SATA2_0 to 6

The SATAT connector conform to SATAT 3Gb/s standar and are compatible with SATAT 1.5 Gb/s standard. Each SATAT connector suppors a single SATA device. The AMD SB750 controller supports RAID 0, 1 5, 10 and JBOD.

and

GSATA2_0 and 1

what is GSATA2_0 and 1 do?

heres wut it says...
The satat connectors confrom to SATAT 3GB/s standards and are compatible with SATA 1.5Gb/s stanard. Each SATA connector supports a single SATA device. The gygabte SATAT2 controller supports RAID 0 and RAID 1.

does the front panel wire go into the SATA ports? where the HD/ DVD burner plug into?

So wuts the difference btw GSATA and SATA

and im assumin SATA 3GB and 1.5GB are just like usb 2.0 and usb 1.1

eSATA is a feature found typically only on more deluxe boards. Your motherboard does not have an eSATA port. If you had one, it would work like firewire, allowing you to connect a fast external hard drive.

replicat0r

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009

i check the the connectors for the e-sata connector and the sata connector on the board.. they are the same.

and also my mobo allows an internal HD connected via externally( power + sata data cable) to be connected.

You cannot just plug in a SATA drive on the fly. Your controller is not capable of handling that, and it would either not work or cause a crash or damage hardware.

If your board supported eSATA the documentation you received with the board would state that. Gigabyte would have also provided you with an eSATA bracket to attach to an expansion slot bay.

replicat0r

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Ok here

img0081o.jpg

Thats the bracket provided by my MOBO...

its got 2 SATA cable and 1 4 molex connector.

the red wire on the bottom is the wire coming out of the e-sata port from the top of the case.

So, where does your manual say to plug that bracket in?

Did you read it?

It's page 20, which details how it's done.

Let us know how it works, because no where in your manual or the Gigabyte spec sheet for your board does it state eSATA. I would like to hear if you can attach a SATA device on the fly, or if you have to reboot before it's recognized.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
The Cable from the front panel of your case plugs into one of your SATA ports.

Same goes for the bracket you got with your MB.
Plug the back side of the Molex into your PSU.

What is your OS?

replicat0r

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
my os is vista ultimate.

i had some external HD issue.. so i opened up the case and connect a the back of my external E-sata port to a Gsata port on the mobo. it worked great. xsfer speed whent to around 80mb/s

but the drive would turn off after 10 min on its on.. i donno why.. so i was forced to switch back to usb transfer..

i dont have a e-sata to usb/firewire cable to test out the connection on the front of the case.

so for now i just plug it into the Gsata port(i cant reach into the sata port)