BIG problem with internet driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

norcal19

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
i recently fixed my desktop computer. it was completly infected so i cleared the whole hd and reinstalled windows xp. the problem is the computer doesnt have the driver it need to connect to the internet. i have no idea how to fix this because to get the right driver i need to be able to connect to the internet! can anyone help my figure out what to do?

BobCharlie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

If you don't know the name of your motherboard, open the side panel of the computer (assuming you have a desktop), and look for a group of letters/numbers, usually printed large and white in color OR Google the make of the computer. After you figured out what motherboard it is, Google the board with LAN Ethernet driver included. Then download to a USB ( can buy 2 gig for 5-10 bucks) then swap and load onto the internetless computer and install. Just did this myself earlier.

norcal19

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

found the mobo # but i cant find any drivers for it...... the # is HP p6b580

Go to device manager: Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device manger
Right-Click on the device that is now showing with a yellow exclamation mark in front of it.

Click the "Details" tab

Click the drop-down box and select "Hardware ID's"

Look at a sample picture below for what to look for...

DEV_MGR.jpg

go to http://pcidatabase.com/ and enter the numbers found in your hardware IDs of the device.

You will be taken to a page that shows the devices that match your numbers. Look for the device that best describes your device and then search for drivers using Google based on your findings.

norcal19

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
ok perfect i found the driver. only problem is once i install the driver it says "this device cannot start. (code 10)" wtf is wrong now? is it beacuse my computer is x86 bit and im using the x64 bit (i also tried the 32) driver? if so they dont have the x86 version of the driver on that website

btw i freaking love you guys for helping me out

You may have been there, but if not, have a look at this HERE.

From what I can see, you have a 5782 chipset and have downloaded the correct drivers (ver 14.6.0.6a) and so perhaps something else is not right.

Are there any other errors in device manager? unknown devices etc???
That machine may use the SMBus controller which affects modems.

Status
Not open for further replies.