Sign in with
Your question

Best Liquid Cooler

Last response: in Overclocking
December 17, 2010 4:07:41 AM

I am curious what the best liquid cooler around is, im sure it is very expensive but which one is it?

More about : liquid cooler

a b K Overclocking
December 17, 2010 9:32:11 AM

"best" is all relative. If you're on a budget the 'best' is what you can afford. If you're trying to benchmark the highest watercooled OC then the 'best' is using a rad from a car and a pond pump ;) .

If you're talking about factory-sealed coolers, the best on the market is the FreeZone Elite. Second in line would be the Corsair H70.

If you're talking about custom loops, the best would be a $1k+ system with multiple 120mm x4 rads and a couple of pumps..

Like I said.. it's all relative. Need more information to give you any advise.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 17, 2010 12:45:43 PM

^Using a car radiator is far from the best...it doesn't offer the correct amount of cooling power when using lower flow pumps like watercooling or pond pumps. It is suited for high pressure, high flow pumps and much higher heat capacity. It's why the radiator caps on a car radiator say not to remove when the car is hot...its under significant pressure...it's designed to operate that way.

Sealed LCS such as the H70 are about as good performing as high-end air coolers in most cases. There are several 'LCS' coolers that fall into this category, and they all perform about the same as $40-$50 air coolers.

A full custom watercooled loop is the best kind of watercooling you can get, but it will cost you...but will also perform to the expectations you have...depending on the components used and budget to spend.

You don't need to spend $1000 on a watercooling system...$300 would be the low end, $600-$700 would be high end...all depending on what you are putting in your loop(s).
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
December 17, 2010 8:41:52 PM

I was kinda' taking the piss but thank you for making me look an arse - I know nothing about cars or their rads ;)  haha.

Anyway yeah. For most setups a H70 would be the best.
m
l
December 18, 2010 10:29:53 AM

It is beter to submerge your mainbord in transformer mineral oil. :-D
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 19, 2010 10:01:49 AM

Oil computers were debunked a while ago. Something to do with copper and gold coming off the components and after a few years everything shorts. Can't remember the source. I wouldn't want to spend good money on a computer only to put it in oil anyway ;) .. I'm pretty sure my graphics cards warranty doesn't cover burning the fan out trying to move oil ;) 
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
December 19, 2010 11:38:26 AM

Only Rubix even has a idea about watercooling here. All the rest seem to just be typical nonsense posts.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 19, 2010 11:58:07 AM

If you are looking for the best, I would look at a Koolance based system. They are the premier makers of liquid cooling products... IMO

http://www.koolance.com/default.php
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
December 19, 2010 10:25:55 PM

tecmo34 said:
If you are looking for the best, I would look at a Koolance based system. They are the premier makers of liquid cooling products... IMO

http://www.koolance.com/default.php

Ohh that is so wrong. IMO.

The all in one systems are wayy over priced and way overrated by Koolance.

They make good GPU blocks, CPU blocks, good selection of fittings, not the best radiators (ones sold seperately).

Their seperate pumps are nothing but rebadged Laing pumps.

Their Exos systems etc are what is bad.

m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 20, 2010 1:24:11 PM

Quote:
Only Rubix even has a idea about watercooling here. All the rest seem to just be typical nonsense posts.

Many thanks for the kind words.

I'm still trying to mop up here in my spare time...someone has to try and be the voice of reason on this forum...a lot of poor information (as usual) getting spewed around here. A couple of new guys help out a lot, but there is the typical influx of misinformation, as usual.

For those of you who don't know, Conundrum is the guy that I ask for advice...if that tells you anything. If anyone has read the watercooling sticky...you'll recognize his name as the author. I'd listen to him...he might be somewhat brash, but chock full of knowledge on the subject matter.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2010 2:41:38 PM

@ rubix.."he might be somewhat brash" ??..how about the lack of people skills..
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 20, 2010 2:47:08 PM

He doesn't have much tolerance for anyone that hasn't first done their research or asks things that have either been covered in a sticky or asked 1000 times...which is why there is likely a sticky to begin with.

Trust me, I've called him out on several threads for being rude...sometimes he is justified; sometimes not. I can tolerate people being new and uncertain about watercooling and he assumes everyone asking questions has read every sticky and gone through forums prior to logging a question...wishful thinking.

However, I do VERY MUCH AGREE with him that the majority of people on forums want something handed to them without figuring out what is best for them...being an informed consumer vs. having some complete stranger 'tell them' what to spend $100's of dollars worth on.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2010 2:59:43 PM

Yeah sticky's are always going to be there ..most of them are outdated and most are about "everything and nothing " which makes people a bit confused ..thats why they reader ask the question on forum and if you not willing to take your time being polite or friendly at the same time ..why even bother ?
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 20, 2010 3:02:57 PM

I agree...there has to be a considerable amount of understanding that someone won't even know where to go first...which is what I try to do. However, the biggest thing is that you get people asking the same things over and over...all they have to do is just a short, 5 minute search to see if its been posted before and read through replies without waiting for one on their question.

It's a catch .22...people need to learn how to figure things out themselves, but they also need to know where to find the info before they can...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2010 3:23:52 PM

rubix_1011 said:
I agree...there has to be a considerable amount of understanding that someone won't even know where to go first...which is what I try to do. However, the biggest thing is that you get people asking the same things over and over...all they have to do is just a short, 5 minute search to see if its been posted before and read through replies without waiting for one on their question.

It's a catch .22...people need to learn how to figure things out themselves, but they also need to know where to find the info before they can...

that doesn't justify of bean an @s dose't ?
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
December 20, 2010 3:30:11 PM

Nope...and I've called him out before. There are only a few times where he was justified in acting that way...with people that want to ridiculously spout ignorance and ignore the concept that other people might have an idea of what they are talking about. I highly respect his knowledge; his communication is questionable at times...especially for a site mainly for noobs.
m
l
!