Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Quick question about RAM in my new system, I really need help.

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 3, 2009 10:25:57 PM

I recently built a system with the ASUS P6T6 motherboard and 12GB of OCZ 1333 ram specified to run at 7-7-7-20, and when the system first booted up it detected them as 7-7-7-20 but at 1066mhz. When I changed the DRAM Frequency to 1333mhz and rebooted, cpuz showed that the times were now 9-9-9-24 and the FSB:D RAM that used to be 1:1 is now 2:10. I don't know what this means but I really need some guidance. Thanks in advanced.
a c 238 V Motherboard
April 4, 2009 2:11:12 AM

dekleining said:
I recently built a system with the ASUS P6T6 motherboard and 12GB of OCZ 1333 ram specified to run at 7-7-7-20, and when the system first booted up it detected them as 7-7-7-20 but at 1066mhz. When I changed the DRAM Frequency to 1333mhz and rebooted, cpuz showed that the times were now 9-9-9-24 and the FSB:D RAM that used to be 1:1 is now 2:10. I don't know what this means but I really need some guidance. Thanks in advanced.


Ram specs are usully the best it can do at it's maximum voltage. In the case of an i7, that is 1.65 volts max. You may be getting the lower speed because the ram is at default 1.5v.

Also, 6 sticks are harder to get top performance out of, particularly at stock voltages.

The good news is that the i7 seems to be able to get all the ram data to the cpu regardless of speed or timings.

If it is stable runing memtest 86+, I would just leave it be.

As a side question, can you tell the benefit of 12gb? In what way?
I have theorized that 12gb can hold all the OS and a game, so after the first load, it will stay in ram for a long time. (I use sleep, not shutdown when I am done)
On the task manager, how much ram is cached, and how much free?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2009 2:43:48 AM

4 GB isn't even enough anymore O_O

I still have to page file with it in windows 7 which is annoying when quitting games

I also only get 900 mbs when fully booted up to...
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2009 2:49:36 PM

Quote:
4 GB isn't even enough anymore O_O

I still have to page file with it in windows 7 which is annoying when quitting games

I also only get 900 mbs when fully booted up to...


Kind of confusing here.....
4 gig is not enough, but you are only using 900mb after bootup?
What are you doing that takes more than 3 gig of memory? There is no game that will come close to that.
You shouldn't turn the page off, but you can set it to like 50 meg or so. Windows does need a small amount
of disk space for the paging file, no matter how much memory you have.
April 4, 2009 2:57:32 PM

He gets the lower speed because i7 can only handle PC3-1066 at stock speeds.
April 4, 2009 6:49:32 PM

Alright, I enabled my XMP Profile 2 and now the sticks are at 7-7-7-20 at 1333mhz. But the FSBDRAM Ratio is still 2:10. Which means the CPU is my bottleneck now? Yeah I ran memtest and everything was stable.
To be honest I can't really tell a benefit of 12G. My system has about 2GB constantly full (something to do with a Vista service called lsuperfetcher or something stupid), and it never jumps above 4 or 5. The money would've been better spent on high quality 6GB of RAM.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 11, 2009 8:11:10 PM

Mainly when I quit l4d, tf2, crysis, crysis warhead, cod 4, cod 5, witcher or fallout 3

I have to pagefile... it could mean theres something wrong with my system... but I have to page file (HDD light is going) when I quit

also windows recognizes and can use all 4 GB of ram I have installed.... so idk
a b V Motherboard
April 11, 2009 9:46:20 PM

dekleining said:
Alright, I enabled my XMP Profile 2 and now the sticks are at 7-7-7-20 at 1333mhz. But the FSBDRAM Ratio is still 2:10. Which means the CPU is my bottleneck now? Yeah I ran memtest and everything was stable.
To be honest I can't really tell a benefit of 12G. My system has about 2GB constantly full (something to do with a Vista service called lsuperfetcher or something stupid), and it never jumps above 4 or 5. The money would've been better spent on high quality 6GB of RAM.


2:10 isn't a problem. All that means is that your RAM is running at a certain ratio to your bclk, which is completely irrelevant to performance in an i7. Don't worry about it.
April 11, 2009 10:16:43 PM

Your CPU is certainly not the bottleneck. However, I can just about guarantee what yours and most others bottleneck is: the hard drive. It is the slowest part of your system and you will notice much better performance, speed and responsiveness using Raid 0, 1 or 10. If you don't mind a high chance of losing all you data, then use Raid 0. Or if you want speed AND data safety, then use Raid 10, which requires at least 4 drives. And you can also utilize Intel's Matrix Raid if you want to use only 2 drives and get the most out of your system. What you do is create a Raid 0 for the OS/Apps, page file and scratch disk and then create a Raid 1 for storage. Or create a Raid 1 for OS/Apps and storage and a Raid 0 for page and scratch disk. I just did this for my boss on his Dell which came with a 2drive Raid 1. He uses InDesign and Photoshop and I reconfigured it to have a Raid 0 using the last 25GB of his 2 drives for scratch disk and page file AND email. He gets a large number of emails and Outlook was slowing down his system on occasion. He can't believe how much more responsive his system is now and can't believe it didnt cost anything. Now he wants me to upgrade to Raid 10 as he needs more storage and doesn't mind a speed boost.

RAM: unless you are using 3d and/or video editing/compositing programs, you don't need more than 3-4GB of ram. Also, you won't see any benefit to using 1066 vs 1333 or 1600 ram or even slightly better timings. There have been numerous tests and the most you could see is about 4-5% on the prior Intel 775 cpu's; but, now that the i7 has an integrated memory controller, it matters even less.
April 12, 2009 5:31:44 PM

I have two WD Caviar Blacks in Raid 1. It's exceptional.

Ok, I'm thinking about just removing the 3 sticks of ram I DON'T need and selling them back on Ebay. They're just taking up space and power and making the DIMM area warmer than necessary.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2009 7:55:19 PM

^^ wow i'm sorry thats retarded

ram in comparison to the rest of the system uses so little power also if your not gaming they'll barely get hot at all

plus you will be page filing if you do that... one of the worst thought out ideas i've ever heard
!