Which mobo maker

Hi,

I am beginning to put together a whishlist of components for my new computer. There a a few things I would like to do with the new one however I would like to take some componets from my old comp. 1, the DDR2 memory I have 4gb 2 2gb sticks i believe, my graphics card Ati radeon X1950gt, my star ice cooler since I had too purchase it for my old comp. So I would like to go with the intel P45 chipset and the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor.
That cpu looks like the best bang for the buck. My 3.4ghz chip has done pretty good over the past 5 years so I can't complain too much. That cpu(3.0ghz) is close to the top end. I see the i7 and i5 processors (Lynnefield) are pricey and I don't need bleeding edge. I do plan on upgrading the vid card maybe this time next year. Who makes a good MOBO that fts that bill and is not ASUS . They screwed me and I will never purchase another one of their products. I have an ABit mobo now and for what I paid and what I got I feel satisifed. I would like to one stop shop with newegg rather than do it piecemeal from 2 or 3 places but if I have to I have to I have to. I plan on using it for gaming but I just don't game like I used to but I still need to put a good stable solid mobo in it.

Sorry for such Novel

Deak
5 answers Last reply
More about which mobo maker
  1. I have the asrock p45 ts-r, and it works fine, just not as good at overclocking as some other boards made by asus and gigabyte. I also have used their g43 fullhd micro atx. Both boards have ddr2 and ddr3 slots; you can use either type of memory but not both at the same time.
  2. I have Gigabyte EP45-UD3P and -UD3L motherboards (and an EP35-DS3P and EP-G41-ES2L - both with E5200's). Both EP45's have OC'd quad core CPU's (Q6600 - 3.6 GHz - and Q9550 - 3.6 GHz) in them.

I like Gigabyte. :)

As far as memory is concerned, I am one of those who believe that a Core2 CPU cannot take advantage of the potential of DDR3 memory.
    ----------
    Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz
  3. For that price range tbh i wouldnt go for the Q9650. I found it on newegg for a price tag of 319.99 whilst the I5 is only 199.99 which could save you money for decent upgradable Mobo + DDR3 memory.

example:

i5 750 Lynnfield - > 199.99
    ASUS P7P55D LE LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - > 134.99
    CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 - > 129.99
    (all prices taken at random from newegg.com)

Thus leaving ur system open for any upgrades in the future...
  4. Purchased a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R in Feb 09. Severe instability issues and truly horrid support from Gigabyte. Board would not work with 2 perfectly good pairs of memory. To this day the PC intermittently fails to simply power on.
    I have spent more time "tweaking" this POS Gigabyte motherboard then any component I have ever had the misfortune of purchasing.
    To top it off it took over 8 months to receive a $15 rebate.
    So, if you think ASUS is bad I would also avoid Gigabyte as they have the most amateurish and unprofessional support staff I have ever encountered.
  5. You should really be looking at i5 and P55 m/b +DDR3.

As for the manufacturers I have had bad luck with ASUS as well having all kind of problems down the road, for the last couple of Years I have been using Gigabyte with one m/b DOA which was RMAd and none of them had problems in later use.
    This is more down to preference many people use ASUS with great success as well and also other brands.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards