From 1x 320 GB --> 2x 500...your opinion please

waydiddy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Hello community. Another upgrade-related quick for you...

I have a Seagate SATA primary drive in my computer at 320 GB, and I think it's on it's last legs. I've had it since the first computer I built 4-5 years ago (I think), and every day that goes by I feel like that drives getting closer and closer to failure.

I'm shopping NewEgg now to do a baby upgrade on my compy (which includes a Nvidia 9600 GSO 512 DDR3 goes up to a Radeon 5770 1 GB DDR5), and I can't help but want to go for a Raid 0 configuration with two great priced 500 GB drives http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148395. I'm getting back into gaming, so I want better performance, but I'm not ready to splurge for a good-sized SSD quite yet.

My main questions are as follows:
-How will I go about transferring over my data from one drive to the next
-Will it be more difficult to transfer the data from single to raid configuration
-Do you consider this course of action / what would you do?

Thanks for any advice you can give me. This forum is always my go-to source from the experts here.

Solution
RAID on a workstation is often a problem waiting to happen (IMHO).

If you want speed, get an SSD (I just bought some 64GB Kingstons for under $100 after rebate) for the C: Drive (boot & Windows). The systems scream now.

Quality large drive for everything of any size or move those types of files to an inexpensive 2 Bay, RAID1 NAS.

We do this kind of thing all the time, everyone turns out happy.

Best,
Roger.

NetworkStorageTips

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
RAID on a workstation is often a problem waiting to happen (IMHO).

If you want speed, get an SSD (I just bought some 64GB Kingstons for under $100 after rebate) for the C: Drive (boot & Windows). The systems scream now.

Quality large drive for everything of any size or move those types of files to an inexpensive 2 Bay, RAID1 NAS.

We do this kind of thing all the time, everyone turns out happy.

Best,
Roger.

Solution