Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Liquid Cooling...Where Do I Begin???

Last response: in Components
Share
July 9, 2009 3:58:05 AM

So I'm about to make a major upgrade to my computer. I'm changing my CPU from an Intel e8400 @ 3.0 GHz to an i7 920 @ 2.66GHz, a new motherboard to support the new CPU, 4GB of DD2 RAM to 6 GB of DDR3 RAM and I'm adding another BFG GTX 260 and running SLI. Oh yeah, and I'm going from a mid tower to a full.

I'm wondering that will these upgrades, will I need liquid cooling to keep my computer at a safe temp once I start to push the computer? I'm not really sure where the line is going from fans to liquid cooling.

Any info would be great. Thanks.



-Charles

More about : liquid cooling begin

July 9, 2009 10:51:55 AM

Hi there, firstly I suggest you research the 1366 coolers on the internet, they have reviews benchmarks etc. The megahalem is a brilliant air cooler but you have to buy the fan as it doesnt come with one. I have a I7 920 OC to 4GHZ. I had an asus triton 81 cooler, utter rubbish, 80 degrees on load. Now got Corsair H50 water cooling for £ 55. Temps now at 35 idle and 55-60 100% load. Brilliant and thats at 4ghz
July 9, 2009 10:59:48 AM

depends how cool you want it, I'm running dual 4850's and an i7 in a cramped antec 300 and I'm not complaining but if you want very good temps then get a Corsair H50 and a load of noctua fans.
Related resources
July 9, 2009 1:47:41 PM

calmstateofmind said:
So I'm about to make a major upgrade to my computer. I'm changing my CPU from an Intel e8400 @ 3.0 GHz to an i7 920 @ 2.66GHz, a new motherboard to support the new CPU, 4GB of DD2 RAM to 6 GB of DDR3 RAM and I'm adding another BFG GTX 260 and running SLI. Oh yeah, and I'm going from a mid tower to a full.

I'm wondering that will these upgrades, will I need liquid cooling to keep my computer at a safe temp once I start to push the computer? I'm not really sure where the line is going from fans to liquid cooling.

Any info would be great. Thanks.

-Charles


Although the technically correct answer to your question is "it depends how hard you want to push your overclocking" -- No, an air cooler will be just fine for you. A standard i7 920 can be overclocked very nicely on air. An extra few cpu mhz that a water cooled setup might provide over an air cooled one is not going to make one bit of noticeable difference in gaming, not now, and not for the foreseeable (~5years out) future.

To complicate things; some air-cooled solutions are better (cooler), than some (typically cheap) water-cooled solutions. And the price of a very nice custom water-cooled solution + pc case are very near the price of a refrigerated solution (which will get you far cooler than water can get you).

Refrigerated solution link1 link2 (fan to go with it)

Highest-Rated CPU (air) Cooler link1 link2

Personally, I'm going to skip water cooling and go refrigerated.
July 9, 2009 2:54:12 PM

Thanks for the info. I looked at the refrigerated links and honestly its a bit too expensive for me. The i7 is costing me roughly $300 as well as the motherboard and then the RAM is another $200, which leaves the card adding just under another $200. So all in all, I'm dropping around $900-1000, and I'm looking for a cooling solution that's somewhere along the lines of $200 because I don't have too much more to spend.

So you think that I would be just fine with a nice fan over my CPU and installing a few other fans throughout the case? How exactly could I cool my cards directly? Is there a direct device that I can attach to the cards and cool them that way, or just by installing a fan in the cards vicinity?

Thanks.



-Charles
July 9, 2009 3:30:10 PM

rkaye said:
Although the technically correct answer to your question is "it depends how hard you want to push your overclocking" -- No, an air cooler will be just fine for you. A standard i7 920 can be overclocked very nicely on air. An extra few cpu mhz that a water cooled setup might provide over an air cooled one is not going to make one bit of noticeable difference in gaming, not now, and not for the foreseeable (~5years out) future.

To complicate things; some air-cooled solutions are better (cooler), than some (typically cheap) water-cooled solutions. And the price of a very nice custom water-cooled solution + pc case are very near the price of a refrigerated solution (which will get you far cooler than water can get you).

Refrigerated solution link1 link2 (fan to go with it)

Highest-Rated CPU (air) Cooler link1 link2

Personally, I'm going to skip water cooling and go refrigerated.


Your kidding right? Refrigerated it extremely dangerous with the build up of condensation and is not used anymore.

The copper Thermaltake ultimate is in no way the best air cooler and is to be avoided because of it's weight and the likeliness that it will warp the motherboard.

Here is a list fo the best:
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm
July 9, 2009 3:37:36 PM

for i7, you'll want the SE1366 edition of the Noctua NH-U12P.
July 9, 2009 4:58:20 PM

Thanks for the info. I looked at the Noctua NH-U12P SE 1366 and it seems pretty solid. What should I do about my graphics cards though? Just install fans around them? I'm kind of a scrub when it comes to cooling. Lol.



-Charles
July 9, 2009 6:35:42 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
for i7, you'll want the SE1366 edition of the Noctua NH-U12P.


I wouldn't recommend the Noctua because there are plenty of better performing heatsinks for much less, like the Xigmatek dark knight.
July 9, 2009 6:51:28 PM

So many different options....lol. I like the PCI card fans for the graphics card. Thanks for the link.
September 1, 2009 12:23:39 AM

The_Blood_Raven said:
Your kidding right? Refrigerated it extremely dangerous with the build up of condensation and is not used anymore.

The copper Thermaltake ultimate is in no way the best air cooler and is to be avoided because of it's weight and the likeliness that it will warp the motherboard.

Here is a list fo the best:
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm


Dear n00b, please only spout off about things in which you are knowledgeable. Otherwise people will call you on it.

If you keep your (water-cooled or refrigerated) PC under your bed; no, you will not have nightmares about the scary condensate monster coming to get you. But in your case I will suggest keeping your closet door closed and a sheet covered over your head to protect you on the off chance of such a fearful episode. Then again, reading your post above and considering your knowledge of liquid build-up, I propose that you NOT keep the PC under your bed, due to your own personal greater likelihood of wetting the bed and causing a liquid-related PC catastrophe.
September 1, 2009 12:55:15 AM

rkaye said:
Dear n00b, please only spout off about things in which you are knowledgeable. Otherwise people will call you on it.

If you keep your (water-cooled or refrigerated) PC under your bed; no, you will not have nightmares about the scary condensate monster coming to get you. But in your case I will suggest keeping your closet door closed and a sheet covered over your head to protect you on the off chance of such a fearful episode. Then again, reading your post above and considering your knowledge of liquid build-up, I propose that you NOT keep the PC under your bed, due to your own personal greater likelihood of wetting the bed and causing a liquid-related PC catastrophe.


You obviously have no idea of what you are talking about. Water cooling can cause condensation but there are simple ways that it is avoided. First the only surface that contacts any component and is susceptible to condensation is the waterblock. However there is insulation against this and there are special types of thermal compound that stops this.

Refrigeration is harmful for two reasons. The first is that, of course, it causes condensations and has no real guard against it. It also only cools the air, which wont help when the air is heated by the lack of airflow. Also, if there is airflow then there is no real sense in the air being cooled, since it is not in one place long enough to be cooled. Refrigeration is an old idea for PCs, and it never works.

Before you comment again, I recommend trying to learn about what you are talking about before spewing **** everywhere.

Oh and my huge water cooling loop is inside my case, which is most definitely not under my bed.
!