Sign in with
Your question

Best LCDs for gaming? (refresh rates, etc)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 26, 2009 4:34:14 AM

I just recently traded my CRT monitor for an LCD monitor (22" Acer X223W).
Adjusting resolutions, I'm unable to get anything out of it beyond 75Hz (or 60Hz in native resolution). I've noticed a drastic performance hit as a result. Makes sense, seeing as I expect 100 frames per second at the very least in the games I play (fast-paced FPS's). It would seem as though I'm losing 50% of the frames put out by a game in some cases.
Are there any LCD's even capable of higher refresh rates? How about response times? Is there any noticeable difference between 2 and 5 millisecond monitors, for instance?
April 26, 2009 9:04:48 PM

I'm guessing you have vsync turned on when you used the CRT monitor. Refresh rates are important on CRT monitors (high refresh rates to get rid of the flicking), but not as much on an LCD (flicker-free). I suggest that you turn off vsync and have the refresh rate at 75hz if you aren't satisfied with 60hz. Also, new LCD monitors rarely have major problems with tearing or ghosting in games now.

LCD and CRT are two different technologies. You should do some more research. http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Hardware_Software/2...
Related resources
April 26, 2009 9:15:22 PM

aylafan said:
I'm guessing you have vsync turned on when you used the CRT monitor. Refresh rates are important on CRT monitors, but not as much on an LCD. I suggest that you turn off vsync and have the refresh rate at 75hz if you aren't satisfied with 60hz. Also, new LCD monitors rarely have problems with tearing or ghosting in games now.

LCD and CRT are two different technologies. You should do some more research.

really? my 22" 2232bw has horrible tearing @ 60Hz even worse than my old crt would tear at 85Hz IMO. You can't see more than 60fps @ 60Hz anyway so I just leave vsync enabled.. but thats just me :kaola: 

I had a lot of complaints when switching from CRT to LCD but i'm over it now. LCD ftw :) 
April 26, 2009 9:29:56 PM

try for the 120hz ones, its kinda like a new generational thing, this generation of lcds rock because the mid-higher class ones are all 1080p or higher have more than 1hdmi input and low response times - what kind of gfx card?
April 26, 2009 9:39:01 PM

Sharft6 said:
really? my 22" 2232bw has horrible tearing @ 60Hz even worse than my old crt would tear at 85Hz IMO. You can't see more than 60fps @ 60Hz anyway so I just leave vsync enabled.. but thats just me :kaola: 

I had a lot of complaints when switching from CRT to LCD but i'm over it now. LCD ftw :) 

Believe it or not. When I play Counter-Strike Source, Counter-Strike 1.6 or F.E.A.R. vsync off seems to have smoother movement for me than with vsync on. Maybe, it's just my preference, but you can test it out for yourself and see how it feels.
April 26, 2009 11:49:14 PM

Thanks for the responses.

strangestranger:
If it were a purchase, I would've researched the **** out of it. But I had it handed to me.

aylafan:
I have done some research. Most of my research has presented me with retarded contentions about how refresh rates don't apply to LCD monitors. The two technologies seem to be the same where it matters. What it boils down to is how many times a pixel can be repainted a second. In that sense, refresh rate means exactly the same thing. The fact that LCD monitors present no flicker is irrelevant.
It is a new monitor, and 60Hz is utterly appalling. 75Hz is better, but not fluid, and I'm still losing a good 25-50 frames/second.

silversurfer:
I'll have a look at that. I'm running a GeForce 8500 GT.
April 27, 2009 1:01:03 AM

aylafan said:
Believe it or not. When I play Counter-Strike Source, Counter-Strike 1.6 or F.E.A.R. vsync off seems to have smoother movement for me than with vsync on. Maybe, it's just my preference, but you can test it out for yourself and see how it feels.

yeah if you fps drop below your refresh rate it will lock it into these set frame rates because the frames still need to be timed right to avoid tearing (my interpretation). I don't really know how it all works but i know triple buffering usually helps a lot to raise fps when vsync is enabled.

hopefully somebody else will tell me I'm wrong and post a better explanation cause I sure cbf researching lol.
!