CPU very close to overheat. Need help!

mswirski

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
My rig consists of a AMD Athlon 64X2 5200+ CPU. And a 450W PSU, along with a 9600GT graphics card.
The important parts to note, is that my case has exceptional air flow with a 140mm intake fan on the side, and two 80mms intake on the front, along with one 120mm outtake. The motherboard is an m2n32 sli deluxe (am2), and comes with some nice big copper heatsinks around the cpu area. The cpu is using the stock amd heatsink/fan.

I was previously running a geforce 7900gs on this setup, and since putting the new card in (which has slightly greater power requirements and heat output, along with physical size), My CPU has been dangerously close to overheating, and in fact has shut down a few times because of it.

That said, I never did look at the temps with the 7900gs in the machine, so they could've been quite high as well.

So, when the machine is idle, SpeedFan 4.38 (which agrees with Asus AIProbe, the other program i used), that the GPU is running at 52C, and the CPU at 45-48 degrees.

Considering the ventilation, and the fact that the ambient temp is about 24, it seems high. Under the load of a game (really any load greater then browsing, such as using a music player and chatting on msn), the cpu seems to spike. In the instance of MSN and browsing with music playing, its about 52. Playing a game, it hits 52 during the loading screen and proceeds up to 62+ if I let it go, keep in mind the CPUs maximum temp is 65C.

Now here's the kicker. I figured, ok, maybe it was high before, maybe I just need a aftermark fan, that'll solve my problems. But then I tried to underclock the cpu. By definition, if the CPU is running at a lower voltage, and doing less rpm, it should produce less heat.

Now running at 1.3Ghz (Stock was 2.6Ghz), The idle temperature is 43C. I have yet to stress test it, but running at half the previous speed only helps in 2-3 degrees difference.

Could someone shed some light on the situation or give me something to try, I don't want to spend money on an aftermarket cooler if I don't need it.

Thanks for all your help :)

dhicks2008

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Hi there, I had the same problem with my i7 920, was hitting 80Degrees, even with and aftermarket cooler, Asus trition 81, would not go down :(. Bought some corsair watercooling for £55, solved the problem.

I would suggest that you clean all dust from your system, all fans etc. Replace the cpu thermal paste with Artic Silver 5, and then in the bios there should be a setting for you cpu fan like (Smart CPU Fan Control) or similar, disable this and the cpu fan will be running at maximum speed.

Other than that I dont know, your case has good cooling, crank up the fan speed on your graphics card if you can using rivatuner, hopefully this will help by pushin out the hot air it produces more quickly.

Your fine. The temps you're getting are normal for most rooms. Room temperature plays a role in the cpu temps. I let my room get up to 90f during the summer, and my cpu still runs within spec. 65c won't hurt your cpu. You can try water cooling if you want, but it's expensive, and I'm afraid of leaks, so I won't use it. And the cpu idles at a lower wattage and temperature using the energy saving software from amd and Intel, so it's plenty cool most of the time.

mswirski

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Ok, so I guess I forgot to mention that I had already cleaned the dust, and I have already disabled Cool n' Quiet (the fan control option in bios).

Now I read in another thread on google that the maximum temp is 55 idle, and 72 under load. If thats the case, why is my system shutting down because of the cpu's temp at 65?

You can raise the shutdown temp to 70c without any problems. But I would still go with an aftermarket cooler if you want to keep overclocking. I recommended an arctic cooler 64 pro 92mm to another person. It goes for $29.99 shipped at newegg. If not overclocking, use the cool and quiet setting. I had no problems running it when I was using amd. It always changed to a higher speed when gaming.

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
I have the EXACT SAME CPU and mone got all the way up to 70+º C in summer, comp wouldn't shut down, I had to. Idling at 50º C too.
Tried replacing thermal paste, reseating heatsink, no success. Emailed AMD and they told me it was OK but I knew it wasn't.
SOLUTION: Undervolt, undervolt, undervolt!!!!!
So yes, I've set the vCore to 1.2 V (from stock 1.325 V) and it has helped at least with maximum temps, they top at 65º C in summer (32º ambient temp).
Try it out, perhaps your chip will run on lower voltages. It won't damage it, only problem is stability. Once you've reached an unstable voltage, set it at 0.025 higher and test for stability overnight (Prime95).
Good Luck!
PS: I've also underclocked and idle temps are 38º C. Idle temps are not to worryi

TRENDING THREADS