xpsng

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
First of all glad to be joining one of the most active communities atm and really appreciate any help you can offer me.

So question time...

I got a Sapphire AM2RS790GX m/b lately and was wondering if i could fit this AMD PHENOM II X4 965 3.4GHZ on it.

The Sapphire info is cleary not updated regarding the CPU support list but they present this mobo to be AM3 compliant.

Resolving to a direct email contact with the Sapphire Support didnt quite turn up they way it should. The answer was vague and unclear (and i quote):

"Dear Sir

Sir, It should be fine. Please update your motherboard bios to the latest verision first. Use your previous CPU and flash your motherboard bios before install new CPU. Check this way. Thank you."

Those were the exact words posted by the Sapphire Support person.

So here i am presented with a dilemma , will it work or will i be stuck with an incompatible AM3 processor on my hands...?

Appears there was a BIOS issued that provides support for the PII 965. I would check the MB online product page at Sapphire and download and install the applicable BIOS as the Sapphire support tech suggests.

xpsng

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Indeed your right about the bios update and there is one posted at the Download section @ Sapphire page but the "should" answer of the spokeperson got me thinking to be honest...