macabe

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
Hello All,

I recently completed my first computer build, and after a ton of troubleshooting managed to get it working, sort of. Whenever I play most any game (Fallout 3, Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, Rainbow 6, etc.) the computer freezes and the audio begins to stutter. From there I am unable to do anything but force restart the computer. My system is as follows:

Vista 64 bit Business

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ (3.20 ghz)

4.00 GB RAM

500 GB HD

Rosewill 850 W Power Supply

MSI N9800GTX PLUS T2D512 OC GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Any ideas as to the problem? I have to admit I am very new to this, though I have spent an aggravating amount of time trying to learn about this particular problem I feel that there may be a basic problem I am overlooking. I almost hope so, I just want this problem fixed.

Thank you all in advance

macabe

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
Ran the tests and failed. Bought new RAM, ran the test, and failed. Going to try with just a single piece of Ram in to see if that makes a difference.

Wish me luck, and thanks for all the advice.

macabe

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
The HD is Western Digital, and the RAM seemed to be at the right timing and all when I checked with those programs.

I tried running with only one piece of RAM in, still crashed, and I tried running without the Graphics Card, still crashed. I'm using Left 4 Dead as a stress test test right now.

I actually wasn't sure which specific version of memtest I should have gotten, so I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool instead. I know that it is supposed to be less accurate, but it stalled almost immediately and failed to finish operation. If you think I should use memtest as well, just let me know which to download.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS