Sign in with
Your question

Starting from scratch

Last response: in Storage
November 2, 2010 3:37:54 PM

Hello all! I'm thinking of restoring my old ACER Aspire M5100 computer like new again with pretty much everything replaced with new components. But before I do that, I was thinking of deleting everything off my hard drive and starting over from scratch. I heard of a program called DBAN that completely wipes out everything, but I want to keep certain things on my computer. Thing is, I really don't have alot of memory that can burn/save some of those programs before everything is destroyed. Is there a way that I can put the memory on an external hard drive? One of my associates said that you can put the data you want on an internal(or was it external???) hard drive and delete what you don't want that way. Is that possible, or should I just buy a new hard drive? Thanks!

More about : starting scratch

a b G Storage
November 2, 2010 5:30:18 PM

Back-up what data you want to keep, files, pictures, etc... to an external hard drive, CD-Rom or USB key. Programs will need to be reinstalled after reinstalling the OS.
Many manufacturers have a restore partition that will format the drive and reinstall the OS as it was when you first got the computer. Check ACERs website for the key combo to press to start this. If it doesn't have a restore option then you will need to use the disks that were supplied with the computer.

You don't have to use DBAN if you will be just reinstalling the OS.
November 2, 2010 5:59:50 PM

sturm said:
Back-up what data you want to keep, files, pictures, etc... to an external hard drive, CD-Rom or USB key. Programs will need to be reinstalled after reinstalling the OS.
Many manufacturers have a restore partition that will format the drive and reinstall the OS as it was when you first got the computer. Check ACERs website for the key combo to press to start this. If it doesn't have a restore option then you will need to use the disks that were supplied with the computer.

You don't have to use DBAN if you will be just reinstalling the OS.

Man...I have no idea where my external hard drive is. Lol. Even if I did, I'd have no clue how to put files onto it. I tried putting a few files on my 4GB USB card, but even that wasn't enough. I don't wanna waste too many disks, either, but if worst come to worst, I will. I gotta find those disks as well...I'm sure they're...somewhere around the house. And that's true. I was just using DBAN to get rid of any hidden viruses on my computer because my computer has been running slow for the past year when it was just fine when I bought it.
!