Solved

CPU Voltage Help

Hey guys, so I've been overclocking my CPU by slowly raising my multiplier until it reaches an unstable point where I have to raise my CPU Voltage. I am now at that point however I am having trouble figuting out how to raise the voltage in increments. In my bios settings there is a category of CPU Vdd and plain CPU voltage (both on auto by default). So I try to raise the CPU voltage to something higher than 1.36, (which is the default), like 1.37 however the voltage reading I get does not make sense. So I read somewhere that CPU VDD and CPU V are related. I then try setting just the CPU VDD (to 1.4), I'm just confused on how the settings relate to the actual CPU voltage. Is there one I have to set to something and then set the other to another value. I gathered that CPU V is used to fine tune the CPU VDD for the CPU. Is there a guide to this? All I want to do is to raise my CPU v a little.

My CPU is AMD II X4 Black Edition 965 (the 125 W, not the higher one)

MOBO = MSI 785GM-E51

Thanks for your help guys!
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about voltage help
  1. Just try raising one or the other and test for stability. If not, up the other one a notch and test again.

Good luck!
  2. Set in bios your Overclock voltage select Manual & u can see many option , first always select minimal voltage, disabled Turbo AMD/C1e see in CPU-Z& u can see
  3. Hey guys thanks for the responses,

so I went ahead and changed my CPU V settings. It did change in CPU-Z however the numbers I set it to in the cell menu don't match CPU-Z or the Hardware Bios Menu??

for example while trying to stabalize a 4 ghz overclock I set the Cpu-V to 1.425 and it read both on CPU-Z and the Bios HW monitor 1.392 I am kind of confused on how this works?? Which one is the real one?

But anyway I have another question concerning the maximum voltage I should allow for my cpu.

This is my CPU http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=617&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12= It says the max voltage is 1.4 (which I was either pretty close to or over for my 4ghz clock depending on which voltage is right). Is 1.4v pretty much the max I should go until? Thanks guys!
  4. i always trust CPU-Z to see my voltage, but I & Software can wrong ! however CPU-Z always higher than HWM in Mobo and ...other software I use HW monitor Pro, see temperature & Voltage .
    965BE for 4Ghz generally Vcore (in CPU-Z) 1.42 ~1.44, but it 's depend on other Hardware & System OS
  5. Isn't 1.44 too much Voltage for my CPU? According to my CPU spec from AMD, isn't the max voltage 1.40?

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=617&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=
  6. If I go above 1.40 will I kill my CPU?
  7. It's never a good idea to exceed the manufacturer's limits on voltages. Manufacturers do design in some safety, but that is exactly what it is - safety.

Higher voltages will cause higher temps, and higher temps will reduce the life of the CPU - same with all electronics. Exponential relationship.
  8. so according to my cpu specifications : http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=617&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=

Does that say my max is 1.40 V?

Also which reading should I head the CPU-Z reading/HW monitor (in the Bios) reading or what I am actually setting the number to in "Cell Menu" in the BIOS
  9. Yes, in your case 1.40 is the max voltage - do not exceed this.

Set the voltage manually in the BIOS, and use a suitable monitoring program to monitor the voltage - I use OCCT (there will be slight variations among different monitoring programs)
  10. Hi, thanks for the response. One more question. Why is it that when I set a value for CPU V, say 1.425, it reads 1.392 in both CPU-Z and H/W Monitor in the Bios? Which one should I be paying attention to. I am concerned because obviously 1.425 is over 1.4, yet it reads 1.392 in programs. Also I heard there's actually a margin above the listed voltage one can go to? Is that true? Thanks again!
  11. Best answer
    Do not play around with voltages too close to the manufacturer's upper limit.

The monitored value is the actual voltage - usually slightly lower than the set voltage.

And yes, most manufacturer's design in some safety margin - and that is exactly what it is - safety margin. Analogous to the RPM red line in automotive engines. I would stay clear away from this upper limit.
  12. Cool thanks so much!
  13. Best answer selected by hewny.
  14. Thanks hewny - good luck in your endevours!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Default