Your question
Solved

CPU Voltage Help

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
December 17, 2010 10:00:35 PM

Hey guys, so I've been overclocking my CPU by slowly raising my multiplier until it reaches an unstable point where I have to raise my CPU Voltage. I am now at that point however I am having trouble figuting out how to raise the voltage in increments. In my bios settings there is a category of CPU Vdd and plain CPU voltage (both on auto by default). So I try to raise the CPU voltage to something higher than 1.36, (which is the default), like 1.37 however the voltage reading I get does not make sense. So I read somewhere that CPU VDD and CPU V are related. I then try setting just the CPU VDD (to 1.4), I'm just confused on how the settings relate to the actual CPU voltage. Is there one I have to set to something and then set the other to another value. I gathered that CPU V is used to fine tune the CPU VDD for the CPU. Is there a guide to this? All I want to do is to raise my CPU v a little.

My CPU is AMD II X4 Black Edition 965 (the 125 W, not the higher one)

MOBO = MSI 785GM-E51

Thanks for your help guys!

More about : cpu voltage

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 17, 2010 11:11:19 PM

Just try raising one or the other and test for stability. If not, up the other one a notch and test again.

Good luck!
m
l
a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
December 17, 2010 11:53:12 PM

Set in bios your Overclock voltage select Manual & u can see many option , first always select minimal voltage, disabled Turbo AMD/C1e see in CPU-Z& u can see
m
l
Related resources
December 18, 2010 2:00:12 AM

Hey guys thanks for the responses,

so I went ahead and changed my CPU V settings. It did change in CPU-Z however the numbers I set it to in the cell menu don't match CPU-Z or the Hardware Bios Menu??

for example while trying to stabalize a 4 ghz overclock I set the Cpu-V to 1.425 and it read both on CPU-Z and the Bios HW monitor 1.392 I am kind of confused on how this works?? Which one is the real one?

But anyway I have another question concerning the maximum voltage I should allow for my cpu.

This is my CPU http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=... It says the max voltage is 1.4 (which I was either pretty close to or over for my 4ghz clock depending on which voltage is right). Is 1.4v pretty much the max I should go until? Thanks guys!
m
l
a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
December 18, 2010 4:49:58 AM

i always trust CPU-Z to see my voltage, but I & Software can wrong ! however CPU-Z always higher than HWM in Mobo and ...other software I use HW monitor Pro, see temperature & Voltage .
965BE for 4Ghz generally Vcore (in CPU-Z) 1.42 ~1.44, but it 's depend on other Hardware & System OS
m
l
December 18, 2010 6:43:51 PM

If I go above 1.40 will I kill my CPU?
m
l
a c 111 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 18, 2010 7:11:11 PM

It's never a good idea to exceed the manufacturer's limits on voltages. Manufacturers do design in some safety, but that is exactly what it is - safety.

Higher voltages will cause higher temps, and higher temps will reduce the life of the CPU - same with all electronics. Exponential relationship.
m
l
December 18, 2010 7:14:45 PM

so according to my cpu specifications : http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=...

Does that say my max is 1.40 V?

Also which reading should I head the CPU-Z reading/HW monitor (in the Bios) reading or what I am actually setting the number to in "Cell Menu" in the BIOS
m
l
a c 111 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 18, 2010 7:28:16 PM

Yes, in your case 1.40 is the max voltage - do not exceed this.

Set the voltage manually in the BIOS, and use a suitable monitoring program to monitor the voltage - I use OCCT (there will be slight variations among different monitoring programs)
m
l
December 18, 2010 7:36:07 PM

Hi, thanks for the response. One more question. Why is it that when I set a value for CPU V, say 1.425, it reads 1.392 in both CPU-Z and H/W Monitor in the Bios? Which one should I be paying attention to. I am concerned because obviously 1.425 is over 1.4, yet it reads 1.392 in programs. Also I heard there's actually a margin above the listed voltage one can go to? Is that true? Thanks again!
m
l

Best solution

a c 111 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 18, 2010 7:55:53 PM

Do not play around with voltages too close to the manufacturer's upper limit.

The monitored value is the actual voltage - usually slightly lower than the set voltage.

And yes, most manufacturer's design in some safety margin - and that is exactly what it is - safety margin. Analogous to the RPM red line in automotive engines. I would stay clear away from this upper limit.
December 18, 2010 8:07:26 PM

Cool thanks so much!
m
l
December 18, 2010 8:07:33 PM

Best answer selected by hewny.
m
l
a c 111 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 19, 2010 6:27:38 PM

Thanks hewny - good luck in your endevours!
m
l
!