GA-EP45-UD3R Bios Question

This is my first gigabyte board and the first bios that has allowed me to save profiles - very nice feature! It's currently running the F9 bios and I see that F11 has been released recently. Anyhow, my question is, will updating the bios clear out the user profiles or will I be able to update the bios then restore my settings from my profile?

bilbat

Splendid
Yes. flashing the BIOS will 'peel out' your profiles, but, have you noticed that you have some options in where you store them? You can put them on a floppy easily, a USB with a bit more difficulty - and then reload them. Caveat: there have been one or two situations where the BIOS table structure itself has changed enough between BIOS revs to make old profiles inoperable with the new BIOS, but it's really rare!

bilbat

Splendid
The peculiarity is in the BIOS; on the "Integrated Peripherals" page:

Your manual shows "Legacy USB storage detect", but later BIOS say "USB Storage Function" - either way, same problems. The function here (which is "enabled" by default, in most GB BIOS) allows access to USB storage devices before the OS' drivers for USB load... The problem is that GBs are kind of 'picky' about certain USB devices, and if you get a bad one while this is enabled, it can cause a pretty much inescapable reboot-loop.

You might look here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261902-30-gigabyte-tale
or here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/260350-30-gigabyte-ep45-problemo

I always recommend keeping this function disabled, unless, on the next boot, you intend to either boot from a USB device, or use one from the BIOS - flashing, parameter storage, and the like - all other times, keep it disabled...

That said, I commend you on having found the utility of the parameter storage system - never occurs to most people... I usually include this in the overclocking instructions I provide here:

Before we start ramping things up, I want to teach you a new skill involving the BIOS: Do the <DEL> at the boot to enter the BIOS;
notice, at the bottom, the <F11> "Save CMOS to BIOS" - hit this, and you should get a menu that will show a number (the count varies by BIOS) of empty 'slots', each of which will store an entire set of BIOS parameters, to be re-loaded from the corresponding <F12> "Load CMOS from BIOS"; this is a wonderful overclocker's feature. What I do with it, is to save my 'baseline' working parameters, so if I change something that 'irritates' the board, and forces a reset of all the parameters to defaults, or, even worse, get so screwed up I need to do a 'clear CMOS', I can get back to my starting point with no effort, and without having to remember 85 separate settings! Another thing it prevents is two hours' troubleshooting, having forgotten a change to a crucial parameter - like, "wait a minute - didn't I have the Trd at seven?!" It's pretty self-explanatory, and I alway urge people to start right away by taking the time to give the 'slots' names that mean something: in two hours, "Try2" and "Try3" will not be very helpful, but "450@+10MCH" and "450@+15MCH" will! Another use is for 'green' settings; overclocks, as a rule, do not 'play well' with green features, such as 'down-clocking' and 'down-volting'; with the storage slots, you can set up one profile, say "Green", with all the settings at 'stock' values, and all the 'green' features enabled; another, say "Balls2Wall" with a full overclock, and all the 'green' stuff turned off... Another neat feature of this 'slot' system is, for most BIOS, the mechanism itself will keep track of which ones have booted successfully, and how many times (up to, I believe, a max of five)!

Having these parameter sets on an external device is a great 'disaster recovery' technique, as well. That way, if (god forbid) a buffer overrun or something corrupts your BIOS and you have to reload it, you can get back your OC/settings with little effort!