Sign in with
Your question

Problems Overclocking Q9400

Last response: in Overclocking
December 17, 2010 11:02:58 PM

I'm trying to overclock a Q9400. I just put the chip into a new Gigabyte EP45T-USB3P mobo and the BIOS is great in terms of giving me every option. My problem is a strange one - no matter what I do, and no matter what speed the BIOS indicates the CPU will be running at given those settings, the CPU continues to run at a stock 2.66 Ghz according to a couple of benchmark programs. I've adjusted the FSB from 333-450 and several settings in between, change the multiplier, changed the voltage, and various combinations of all those changes. Whatever I do, when I run a benchmark, the CPU tests at 2.66 ghz.

What am I missing? Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm about clueless at this point.

Thanks,

Chris
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 17, 2010 11:07:46 PM

I know this may be a dumb question, but are you remembering to save your settings before you reboot? This knowledge comes from experience. :D 

Also, use CPU-z, don't rely on the benchmarks to show current clock speed, as they usually just say the name of the CPU (which almost always includes the stock speed).

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
December 17, 2010 11:08:55 PM

I promise I have saved the settings - I've changed them numerous times and the changed settings are saved in bios.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 17, 2010 11:12:20 PM

Can you run a test for me (Prime95 or a video encode or something) with CPU-z open and take a screenshot?
December 17, 2010 11:28:08 PM

Not easily - don't have anywhere to upload the file too. CPU-Z says my FSB is only 333 though (even though it's set at 400), so it's like my BIOS settings are having no effect on the system.
December 18, 2010 12:05:48 AM

I've figured it out - apparently when you've overclocked the CPU, the mobo has a feature wherein if it detects a flaw in boot up it automatically goes to fail-safe settings w/o changing the visible settings in the BIOS. I stepped it down to 375 FSB and it's now running (and testing) at 3.0 Ghz. I guess the challenge will be figuring out what I can get past the mobo as I assume I can get a lot more than 3.0 out of the chip.

December 18, 2010 12:45:15 AM

You just have to Disable those fonctions in your Bios and then do your desired OC.

I also have a Gigab. MB and I had to disable those bios features before to do my OC.

Regards
December 18, 2010 12:48:06 AM

Any idea what the option is called to disable that?
!