Problems Overclocking Q9400

I'm trying to overclock a Q9400. I just put the chip into a new Gigabyte EP45T-USB3P mobo and the BIOS is great in terms of giving me every option. My problem is a strange one - no matter what I do, and no matter what speed the BIOS indicates the CPU will be running at given those settings, the CPU continues to run at a stock 2.66 Ghz according to a couple of benchmark programs. I've adjusted the FSB from 333-450 and several settings in between, change the multiplier, changed the voltage, and various combinations of all those changes. Whatever I do, when I run a benchmark, the CPU tests at 2.66 ghz.

What am I missing? Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm about clueless at this point.

Thanks,

Chris
7 answers Last reply
More about problems overclocking q9400
  1. I know this may be a dumb question, but are you remembering to save your settings before you reboot? This knowledge comes from experience. :D

Also, use CPU-z, don't rely on the benchmarks to show current clock speed, as they usually just say the name of the CPU (which almost always includes the stock speed).

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
  2. I promise I have saved the settings - I've changed them numerous times and the changed settings are saved in bios.
  3. Can you run a test for me (Prime95 or a video encode or something) with CPU-z open and take a screenshot?
  4. Not easily - don't have anywhere to upload the file too. CPU-Z says my FSB is only 333 though (even though it's set at 400), so it's like my BIOS settings are having no effect on the system.
  5. I've figured it out - apparently when you've overclocked the CPU, the mobo has a feature wherein if it detects a flaw in boot up it automatically goes to fail-safe settings w/o changing the visible settings in the BIOS. I stepped it down to 375 FSB and it's now running (and testing) at 3.0 Ghz. I guess the challenge will be figuring out what I can get past the mobo as I assume I can get a lot more than 3.0 out of the chip.
  6. You just have to Disable those fonctions in your Bios and then do your desired OC.

I also have a Gigab. MB and I had to disable those bios features before to do my OC.

Regards
  7. Any idea what the option is called to disable that?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking BIOS