lh_4827

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I have had my PC for over a year now, but i can never seem to get the Motherboard to POST with 2 sticks of ram, or 4 sticks matched.. if they are unmatched, and therefore running in Single Channel, it will POSt and boot, no issue, but running in Dual channel, not a hope in hell.

i currently have 6GB in single channel ( 3 x 2GB), but wanted to get Dual channel running with 2 x x2gb and 2 x 1gb. but it wont do it, it wont even run with 2 x 2gb in the correct slots for dual channel.

this has been the case now on both an ASrock Penryn1600sli-100db mobo and the current, and brand new, XFX 750i.

what do i need to do to get this thing running?

q6600
XFX 750i
6GB DDRII
850w PSU

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I couldn't find the board you specified, -100db, but did find a Penryn1600SLI-110dB:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Penryn1600SLI-110dB&s=

The common mistake in installing dual channel RAM is putting it in the right slots. For this board, that means two 2GB modules in one color slots and two 1GB modules in the other color. In this board, that means putting a 2GB in the 1st and 3rd slot, 1GB in 2nd and 4th. It's easy to think of the two colors as equaling the two channels, that's not the case. Each color represents BOTH channels - so you put the matched pairs into the same color slots.

I'd test it using only two RAM modules. Try the pair of 2GBs and put them in the yellow slots, 1 & 3. Likewise try the 1GBs in same slots next. Then try each pair in the orange slots, etc..

I didn't see anything in the BIOS about setting dual or single channel mode, but might be there. If it still doesn't come up as dual on POST, might try setting BIOS to defaults with F9 key, after making notes on anything you've changed there.

Shouldn't affect dual channel, but find out the voltage requirements of your modules and set it in the BIOS - this usually only affects the speed, 800 vs 667.

Good Luck!

1. If you want to install two memory modules, for optimal compatibility
and reliability, it is recommended to install them in the slots of
the same color. In other words, install them either in the set of
yellow slots (DDRII_1 and DDRII_3), or in the set of orange slots
(DDRII_2 and DDRII_4).
2. If only one memory module or three memory modules are installed
in the DDR2 DIMM slots on this motherboard, it is unable to
activate the Dual Channel Memory Technology.
3. If a pair of memory modules is NOT installed in the same Dual
Channel, for example, installing a pair of memory modules in
DDRII_1 and DDRII_2, it is unable to activate the Dual Channel
Memory Technology .

lh_4827

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009

sorry for the long time to reply, but i had other things occupying my time.

i am no longer using the ASrock board, as it was pretty much toast, so am now using the XFX 750i.

if i try to run the 2gb modules in the correct slots, in this case, 1 and 3, the pc will not post at all, so no chance of getting into BIOS.

this is what i have tried and the result

1 and 2: post
1 and 3: no post
1, 2 and 3: post
1, 2, 3 and 4, no post.

so any arrangement that involves dual channel and nothing. the LED read-out on the back corresponds to memory start up.

basicaly every arrangement works, except anything that involves dual-channel.