Sign in with
Your question

CAS Latency VS. Peak data rate

Last response: in Overclocking
December 18, 2010 2:50:29 AM

Hello,
So planning on a build, obviously a gamer with plans of over clocking. But I am a little confused as to which is more important, and to what level of importance is the Cas Latency vs. the peak data rate "speed"
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
December 18, 2010 12:22:08 PM

Ideally you want a good mix of high frequency and low latency. List some system specs so we can get an idea of what you might need/want.
m
l
December 18, 2010 3:20:19 PM

Well I am planning on the i7 950 CPU most likely on the EVGA x58, or ASUS RAMPAGE II both have the nice FSB of QPI 6.4GT/S

I do plan on over clocking.

I have been debating on which would be better boost between fasting timing or frequency. I really haven't made any progress on picking out RAM yet. Most likely would be between something say a CL 6 vs 9 and DDR3 1600 vs DDR3 2000.

If I can I will just go with the best of the two I can get but yea.. new builds can get pricey.

The only thing I have heard before is that Intel seems to like a higher frequency while AMD likes a lower CL. But I don't know of any validity to that.

m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
December 18, 2010 3:23:57 PM

The lowest cas on the 1600mhz will probably be your best bet. Either way your won't really notice a difference.
m
l
December 18, 2010 10:25:26 PM

Thanks man :) 
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2010 1:37:05 PM

red/blue pill= The Matrix?
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2010 2:00:28 PM

The pill that puts you in a bliss like ignorant state, I think it was red.
m
l
December 20, 2010 9:53:17 PM

Yea, I would take the red pill as well.
Thanks for that, malmental, I can see how the two differentiate more now. I so pose I will just try to split the difference as much as I can cost wise. I have heard that you can lower the timings in a OC (while I have never tried) increment by increment. In addition to increasing the frequency of the RAM. Are you partial to a specific brand for over-clocking potential? I have always stuck to corsair mostly due to the name brand effect.

Side note going in for A+ soon, This was one of the few areas I wasn't 100% on :) 
m
l
!