Windows xp installation freezes while formatting a drive

bc547

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Hello,
I tried to install windows xp , so I started to format one of the drives , but it freezes at 44 percent every time , I tried both NTFS and FAT but it doesnt work
any idea?

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
I'm guessing you let Windows format the drive when you are at the setup ? Or from cmd, or from disk management , while you are in windows? [:grahamlv:3]

If you want to do a clean install then use your Win cd to boot into recovery console (press r while cd loads) and format from cmd, with this command line:
format your_drive_letter:\ /q
For more options give it a format /?

bc547

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

Hello
I mean : in windows setup , I deleted all of the drives , and then I created some new drives , and when you choose one of them to install windows , the setup starts to format the drive first ( NTFS or FAT in your choice ) and after that , it starts to copy windows file and ... ; but when it wanted to format the drive it stopped at 44 percent every time , and It solved . the problem was from HDD , it was damaged :(
However thank you for your care
+ excuses for my bad English :D

Gary Busey

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Man, neet trick !
I burned an Xpcd and it wouldn't boot but pressing R during computer start-up and it's going through the way it should! no more hanging before it even tries to format.
THANKS !!!