rankiz

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
I've been looking on cases for a long time now, and can't decide if I should go Antec nine hundred two or Sunbeam transformers. I know Antec is the ultimate cooling case and really awesome. But I find Sunbeam transformers to be the most awesome looking case I ever seen, have you seen the light in it? It is just awesome when u add some extra LED lights. What would you picked? And also, if Sunbeam transformers could do, I most likely need some sort of fan controll, would it be as good as the Antec then?

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Get the case that you want ..... the antec case is a good case and it has an abundance of airflow...... but this is YOUR case..... It is YOUR MONEY ..... get what you want.....

rankiz

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009

"Get what you want," do not help me at all, I've said I had a dilemma. If you have a dilemma you like more than one cabinett. IF I was going for the Sunbeam, I should get a fan controller, right? And swapping out some fans? Also, possible to buy a filter or something to make the dust coming in smaller?

tecmo34

Administrator
I would go for the Antec 902 ... myself :D

or look at one of these three cases..

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

rankiz

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103019

What you think about that cabinet?

Also, if I go for a full tower, I need to cut alittle to make it fit under the computer table.

tecmo34

Administrator

I don't know much about the case but I see more & more people getting it, so you should be fine with it.

BoBzzz

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Do NOT get the XCLIO one with the big ass side fans. My brother had it and the fans lasted for about 4 months before crapping out on him. In addition the whole thing is/feels like it's made of plastic.

rankiz

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009

o.o It looks badass good

rankiz

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
How can I make the Sunbeam transformers more quiet? I've heard you only need to buy a fan controller and then you are sorted, true?

Also, is the Sunbeam a good option today? It looks awesome and every review from 2004-2006 tells me that the cooling is just awesome. Is it a good option TODAY?

In most cases, cooling is more then enough. Your not going to see a HUGE difference between the Antec 902 and the sunbeam transformers. I know in my antec 1200 my temps don't drop at all when I go from low speed fans to High speed.

The antec 902 comes with built in fan controllers. get it instead. But it seems like your really stuck on the sunbeam case, so you can get quieter case fans or like you said a fan controller should do the trick.

rankiz

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
902 come buildt in with a fan controller, but remember... 902 is 50 USD more costy. You can get a hell of a good fan controller for 50 USD, even a 120mm fan for the front part!

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

I will try again..... The bottom line is it is your choice. There are many fine cases ot there and some are better than others. A "stunning case" can still harbor a POS system. You get the case that will meet your criteria for what you want your end result to be. I got a friend that has an old beat up Dell case that he lugs to LAN parties... and people snicker when they see it..... They don't realize that he's got over 4 grand of overclocked goodness in it.... this is what he wants. He does not care about what it looks like but rather what it / he can do with it. Do you know what a sleeper is in car terms? That is what he has.... Many people go for the "cool" looking case' but is where the "coolness" ends. Inside is the guts of a mid-range box... nothing special......... oh.... but the case is cool! I've used many cases and I still have an antec 900 series sitting on the floor...... empty waiting for an "engine". A lot of cases are good cases but you must ask yourself what are my expectations of the end result? This is determined by you. There are a LOT of crappy cases out there as well so advice on which cases to avoid should be welcomed.

Look at my sig .... If it don't go chrome it! I'm thinking about changing it to " If it don't go put a bunch of lights and shiny things on it to make it better" so that there may be a possibility of a greater number of people (newbies?) understanding it....

The end decision is yours.... if you can't figure this basic thing out then perhaps you should ask someone who actually knows your total system build (and hopefully has a lot of experience with building systems) to take you by the hand and pick your case for you.....

Also... define: Good.......... as to your opinion.... this may help you in your determination...

Pardon me for instilling a reality check......

rankiz

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
"If it don't go put a bunch of lights and shiny thins on it to make it better". Lol, I've seen pply modding their antec cases, and imo Sunbeam looks superior. I like Sunbeam looks better and I know it is a quality item. But it is some years old and I don't know if I should get it over the Antec 902. So I like Antec 902 because of it's superior cooling, I have read a dozen of review from both, and can't really make up my mind. Your post is somehow hostile as I can see. And I actually know my system build.

HDD:
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB 141 USD

Video card
Sapphire Toxic 4890 Vapor-X cooling 313USD

PSU:
Corsair 750W HX 201USD

RAM:
G.SKILL 6GB 117 USD

Motherboard:
Asus P6T Deluxe v2 350 USD

CPU:
Intel i7 920 366 USD (Not changeable)

CPU cooler:
Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 85 USD

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
There is no doubt that the antec is a great cooling case.... and the sunbeam case is good looking but a few years old .... but the antec case basic design is several years old as well.... and I too have been guilty of putting lights and shiny things in my case to give it some bling. The age of the case IMHO is irrelevant IF it does what you want it to do. (and if you have to mod the case to get your desired results) The case is just the enclosure for what you got "under the hood" I guess the point that I was trying to make was that some people will be impressed with the case...... as they know nothing about the "guts" and how it works and how difficult (sometimes) it can be to build and tweak a system. Some people can only be impress with the "guts” and how you have it set up. (overclocking, cooling .etc) Some people will be impressed with only the mods done to the case and the system. The antec case is IMHO the ultimate blank slate and provides a lot of leeway for mods..... The fans in the antec case have a built in switch on each fans power lead to vary the fan speed. It is a quiet case.... the downside: if you have a lot of dust in the area where the case is then once every couple of months you will have to pull the side cover off and "blow out the case" with compressed air, due to the high airflow of the case. It also has a lesser number of bays than the sunbeam case. The last thing on the antec case is that with the power supply on the bottom you need to make sure that the leads on the PS are long enough to reach your components. The sunbeam case does not offer a lot of possibilities for "easy" case mods and the airflow is not nearly what the antec can provide.... but.... with almost any case there are possibilities.

Example: (true story) I had bought an ASUS VENTO 3600 case… solely on the way it looked….. It was tight inside and had less than what I wanted airflow. It took me over 40 hours of “modding” to the case to get the airflow that I needed… without changing the external appearance (except for the holes on the bottom of the case for a 120MM intake fan.). I made fiberglass ducting for the 2 ports on the front of the case for my custom built water /peltier cooler and had to extensively cut some of the sheet metal side panels to accommodate the unit for the cross flow of the intake and exhaust airflow of the cooler . I replaced the internal LED’s with single green LED’s and I removed all the plastic outsides and sprayed the metal shell interior and exterior with white high gloss lacquer and sprayed the “asus” logo and the back trim and the side fan area with Matte black paint as well. I covered the exterior ports with AC Ryan HEXX Modder’s mesh as well as the recess for the front USB/ audio port inset.

I guess what I am trying to say is get the case that you want as long as it either suits your needs or you can make it work to suit your needs. Don’t worry about what others think as it is “your” build and the only opinion that counts on this is yours.

I apologize for any “hostilities” as that was not my intention…… I just wanted to point out what I thought was obvious…… My mistake. Good choice of components…. Now make it fly! Good luck!

eylee86

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
I also vote for Antec 902. I honestly do not think that Sunbeam case looks great at all for my personal taste. In terms of cooling. Neither Antec 902 or Sunbeam Transformer(i bet) will give you the decent airflow/decibel than swapping your fans. i know that antec 902 will give you ok airflow but with noise, which I don't like. You can easily get scythe fans that gives you ~40CMF with low Decibels and improve the airflows on your case. I personally don't know much about sunbeam transformer so I cannot say you HAVE to get fan controllers and new fans but honestly there arn't that many cases out there in my opinion that is worth keeping the fans that comes with the case.

In the end, I believe that the case temp for antec902 will be that far off of sunbeam transformer. That's why I believe why Shabaa has a valid point in saying that you should get the case you want because honestly with cases there are many ways you can play around to improve the cooling. And you saw how I was quick enough to judge that antec 902 is better FOR ME than sunbeam based on the look alone and since I know that antec 902 is already really well known for it's well layout and improvement from the former 900.

hope it helps and good luck