Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Striped disks

Last response: in Storage
November 3, 2010 2:10:33 AM

Hey guys, I currently have two SSDs setup up in RAID 0 (from the BIOS) as my boot drive and a Samsung F3 1TB hard disk for storage which is currently not partitioned (simple drive).

I've purchased an extra 1TB hard disk - same model - and I would like to setup a few partitioned striped drives with these two F3s via Windows 7's "Computer Management" utility.

My question is: When I'll be eventually re-formatting my boot drive to re-install Windows 7 (whatever the reason may be), will it make all the data on both F3 disks corrupted?

I mean, I know that if a hard disk is a simple and unpartitioned drive, the data stays there and nothing happens to it. I can plug it to any computer and it'll still read the stuff off of it like it were a USB stick.

But do striped drives on separate disks work the same way? If I reformat my boot drive, will all the data be gone on the hard disks?

Thanks for your help guys.

More about : striped disks

a c 372 G Storage
November 3, 2010 10:52:09 AM

Your data should be safe as long as you do not go into the RAID config and delete the array or remove a drive from the array. The controller should still present itself to the OS as a single drive/volume.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 3, 2010 12:36:44 PM

0310109 said:
Hey guys, I currently have two SSDs setup up in RAID 0 (from the BIOS) as my boot drive and a Samsung F3 1TB hard disk for storage which is currently not partitioned (simple drive).

I've purchased an extra 1TB hard disk - same model - and I would like to setup a few partitioned striped drives with these two F3s via Windows 7's "Computer Management" utility.

My question is: When I'll be eventually re-formatting my boot drive to re-install Windows 7 (whatever the reason may be), will it make all the data on both F3 disks corrupted?

I mean, I know that if a hard disk is a simple and unpartitioned drive, the data stays there and nothing happens to it. I can plug it to any computer and it'll still read the stuff off of it like it were a USB stick.

But do striped drives on separate disks work the same way? If I reformat my boot drive, will all the data be gone on the hard disks?

Thanks for your help guys.

You might have trouble there; since you'll be setting them to RAID through the OS, the virtual RAID controller will be gone when you reformat. You'd be fine with mirrored drives, since it would store the data like it would on a single drive, but I don't think your data would be preserved for a striped RAID set.
m
l
Related resources
a c 372 G Storage
November 3, 2010 3:53:36 PM

@pepperman: He already has RAID enabled in his bios. All he needs to do is create a new array using the two F3 drives. His current F3 drive has no data on it so there is no loss. The RAID controller should support two RAID volumes, his current boot volume and the new F3 volume.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
November 3, 2010 7:08:51 PM

0310109 said:

The SSD's are set up through BIOS, but he wants to RAID the two HDDs virtually through Windows. When he reinstalls the OS, it may not recognize the data since he wants to use a striped array.

@ OP: If you set up the RAID in the BIOS, you won't have any problems.
a c 372 G Storage
November 3, 2010 7:19:27 PM

pepperman said:
The SSD's are set up through BIOS, but he wants to RAID the two HDDs virtually through Windows. When he reinstalls the OS, it may not recognize the data since he wants to use a striped array.

@ OP: If you set up the RAID in the BIOS, he won't have any problems.

Doh! Apologies, I didn't notice where he stated via computer management.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 3, 2010 7:23:15 PM

It does seem to be a strange way of doing it; if you set one set up in BIOS why not do the other that way to?
m
l
November 3, 2010 9:13:50 PM

Best answer selected by 0310109.
m
l
November 3, 2010 9:20:23 PM

pepperman said:

@ OP: If you set up the RAID in the BIOS, you won't have any problems.

Thanks for your replies, you've been very helpful. I haven't actually partitioned anything just quite yet although I'll probably follow your recommendation and set it up through the BIOS. Thanks again
m
l
a b G Storage
November 4, 2010 12:09:11 AM

Any time; that's what we're here for.
m
l
!