theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Ok so I have an enermax "noisemaker" 475 W PSU with 2x 80 mm (or 72?) fans... they were suppose to be quiet, but they are anywhere but...

so for around 5 years I've put up with it and now with my new system built, I'm not interested to mod the thing for fun

by putting a 120mm or 140 mm fan into it and replace the 2x 80mm, issue is, of course soldering and electrical taping the joints will be needed, but are those the same 3 pin connector layout as the standard stuff, which is (ground 12v control) with ground being a black wire and as an ider or with pin 1 being the ground?

Also, since I assume that these headers are inside the PSU, they would have enough juice to power a 120mm or 140mm fan right?

Also, anyone ever tried something like this? I mean this is kinda the first time I've ever heard of this idea rofl, my first build was about more less noise and some OC but the PSU and the damned NB/SB fan on the DFI lanparty are the only culprits of loud machine...

granted, the noise from it is nothing like my new rig with giant fans on the HAF 932 full tower (and I think the evga x58 3x sli is having issues with fan controlling...), damned floor even shakes near it.... but i do have a 4 Ghz OC and planning on some SLI/CF Dx11 setup on it tho, rather than the planned quiet and slight OC build of the old.

My first recommendation would to be to buy a new PSU to go with your new computer. Your 475 watt Enermax will not power an OC'd i7 and two upper end SLI/CF video cards on 31 amps.

It's not one of the PSU's with 80% efficiency. You will have problems even mounting a large fan. On my two Antec PSU's, the fan is on a header. On every cheapie that I have taken apart, the fans were soldered directly to the PCB.

I think that what you want to do is doable. I just do not think that it is worth doing.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
errr this enermax will NOT power my I7, that has a corsair HX1000w on it.....

it will power a PhII X2 550 (attempting to unlock and OC) with an IGP or lower/mid end gfx at max

ok so I guess to open it up and see if it has headers or if its soldered directly to it, and FYI, the thing wasn' cheap, it was around 150 dollars when I brought it when other lesser named higher rated ones were only like 80-90 dollars more...