pwoznic

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I did a search and mostly saw people had this listed in their sigs. Can anyone provide info about this cooler? I understand someone modded it as a push/pull... what is it at stock?

I'm looking to OC an i7-950 to 4 and hoping I can do it stable with this cooler on the P6X58D Premium mobo.

CJazzTrumpet

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011

Yes. I have a corei7 950 and it runs beautifully at 4.0GHz with the 570LX. Load temps push 80-85 (depending on each core) though after 12 hour prime 95 mark.

Alternatively, like what I did because my case doesn't have room for push/pull, I bought high end Silenx 120mm fans to increase the airflow over the pathetic ones that come with the 570lx. You shouldnt need more than 1.333 V to get to 4.0 - and mine runs at 174x23 with 3.125V - load temps around 75-78 with the upgraded fans.

d0gr0ck

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Those are some very uninspiring load temperatures. That's not even a worthwhile margin over the stock heatsink.

If this is floating around the $100 mark and then you have to buy fans to get that performance you may as well buy the XSPC RASA 240 kit and lop off at minimum 10C in load temps.

If you don't want to assemble you're own kit I'd suggest saving your money and getting a high end air cooler.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
^Very well said; very well said indeed.

Unfortunately, the H50/60/70 (+ most LCS coolers with similar design) appeals to a large majority of folks that simply just don't really know better when they pick up one of those coolers. Many people are happy with them, and as long as they made an educated decision that was the best for them; excellent. However, there are better options for less money that have a better price/performance curve. For a few bucks more, real entry level watercooling can be had with far superior performance and expandability. XSPC Rasa RS240 $129.99; just add water. Sorry, but load temps on i7 9xx series chips at 80+ Celsius isn't a good thing.

Some will say due to space or case designs, these coolers are the best choices for them; I will argue/disagree as there are some exceptional low-profile air coolers that would work great. It's all about case airflow, budget and actual end-user technical ability and desire to install.

CJazzTrumpet

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Two things -

First of all- the stock heatsink runs 90C+ at 3.06 GHz, when the 570 LX is installed, my temps never cross 60C at stock voltages and idle is roughly 30 so it does make a big difference (albeit not as much as a true water cooling system). At a 30% overclock with a single set of good fans, low-mid 70's is fine for testing stability as I've never actually seen my rig cross 70 while gaming extensively w/ realtemp gt in the background.

2. I believe the draw of these imitation systems (for myself in particular) is the zero maintainence - as closed loops it's a set and forget until they wear out and you have to replace them. I totally agree that there are much better- efficient cooling solutions, but to each their own. As a last note, my case has 8 fans (all 120mm) plus the 240mm radiator so it's a good representation of a ventilated system - only further proving that a real water cooling setup would push temps lower.