Are All Win 7s 64-bit?

Not really knowing anything about Win 7, I'm curious if it's a 64-bit OS, or if there are 32- and 64-bit versions. Basically I'd like to build a new system that can take advantage of higher memory capacities like 6- or 8-gigs of ram in programs like the Adobe CS4 suite and whatnot.

So can I use any version of Win 7 to do this, or do I need some special version? Thanks.
10 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. There are both.
  2. You need the 64 bit version to be able to use 4 gig or more of ram. The 32 bit version will only use up to about 3.5 GB.
  3. If you buy a retail copy of Windows 7 you will recieve DVDs of both 32- and 64-bit versions. You can only install and activate one, so the choice is yours to make. It sounds like you will want to install the 64-bit version to access more than 4GB of RAM.
  4. Thanks for your replies. Will there be any problems running 32-bit programs on 64-bit Win 7? How 'bout drivers for hardware? Thanks again.
  5. Problems are rare and as to the drivers question, simply check your hardware vendors web sites for availability.
  6. Thanks again. If there are no 64-bit drivers, can 32-bit drivers run in 64-bit Win 7?
  7. No. 32 bit applications can (usually) be seamlessly emulated when running within a 64 bit environment, but 32 bit drivers cannot. You must obtain 64 bit drivers for a 64 bit operating system.
  8. your 64 os will run smoothly your 32 applications.
  9. > If there are no 64-bit drivers, can 32-bit drivers run in 64-bit Win 7?

You do need a 64-bit driver, but you can use a Vista 64-bit driver if you can't find one for Windows 7. 64-bit XP drivers won't work, though.
  10. Thanks for your replies. I guess I may be in a bind with certain hardware I have the won't get 64-bit drivers, for they're discontinued (but perfectly functional for me) I suppose I'll have to make a dual-boot system.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7