Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro rev.2 - CPU FAN ERROR

OR1G1N

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
hi, i recently assembled my first build and everything was running well except for one thing. every time i start up my computer i get a "CPU fan error" and in fact the other day the computer restarted by itself after i had been using it the whole day.

system specs:
windows 7 64bit
amd phenom II x4 955 be
asus m4a89gtd pro/usb3
sapphire 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT)
corsair cmpsu-650tx
samsung spinpoint f3 hd HD103SJ 1tb
gskill ripjaws series 4gb (2 x 2gb) f3-12800cl9d-4gbrl

i had trouble mounting the arctic cooler freezer 7 pro rev.2 and i accidentally removed a bit of the thermal compound from the heatsink. could that be the cause of the problem?

one more thing, i am looking for programs to help me better monitor my devices, what programs do you recommend?

please help! :(

thanks in advance.

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
OK Or1g1n... first the fan... where have you plugged the fan into??? the thermal compound has nothing to do with the cpu fan error problem... but i would suggest you get some good thermal compound and apply it immediately between the cpu and cooler... please research the web for how to apply the TIM...

CPUZ, CPUID Hardware Monitor, HWM Blackbox, PC Wizard are some of the good monitoring softwares... use Speedfan to control the speeds of all fans connected to mobo but dont trust its temp readings...

If your computer restarted by itself then that CPU fan error may be the motherboard warning you that your CPU fan isnt not plugged into the motherboard... What are your temperatures?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This:
"CPU fan error"
and this:
the other day the computer restarted by itself after i had been using it the whole day.

Are very likely not due to the same thing. The CPU Fan Error is due to your BIOS not detecting a CPU fan plugged into the CPU fan 3-pin MB header. This is a common mistake for someone using a different form of cooler that isn't using the 3-pin fan header.

The reboot...you likely have something else going on to cause that.

G

i'm having the same thing come up on new build. motherboard is an asus p6x58d-e with an arctic freezer 7 pro rev.2. I had a look for "q-fan" in the bios and couldnt find it. where abouts is it?

Metalichap

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
I know the reason about that fact.

Native fan for phenom II are 4pin fan ... but if you change the fan, for one with only 3pin, your CPU is not happy and give an error signal.