Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Cheap motherboards to overclock the AMD Phenom II X6 1055t?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
December 19, 2010 12:48:17 AM

Hello I'm planning on building a new computer in a month. I'm planning on using a AMD Phenom II X6 1055t processor and overclocking it. However looking at some of the motherboard people recommend for overclocking on other CPU's they are very expensive. Are there any cheap motherboard for overclocking this specific CPU (around $100 or less)?
December 20, 2010 12:54:51 AM

you could get a decent one for around 60, just look for one with at-least 710 south bridge cause those have some oc tools, and get one with decent TDP limit. Well don't think TDP would really stop you oc, from what i was reading that just means how much heat it can remove, so the higher the number the more cooler it would stay. Than again idk I post about TDP and no one replied.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 20, 2010 4:14:20 AM

^^^Not as cheap as I'd hope but enough for me to bite.


leonnee said:
you could get a decent one for around 60, just look for one with at-least 710 south bridge cause those have some oc tools, and get one with decent TDP limit. Well don't think TDP would really stop you oc, from what i was reading that just means how much heat it can remove, so the higher the number the more cooler it would stay. Than again idk I post about TDP and no one replied.


If I can get a decent one for $60 then why do people often link to ones that are >$130 in these types of threads?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b À AMD
December 20, 2010 10:37:01 AM

You can overclock on almost any motherboard, my brother has this one $41.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and got his athlon x3 to 3.7GHz and unlock L3 cache. He could unlock a 4th core but it wouldn't overclock with the 4th core active. boards 3-4 times the price have better capacitors and more stable voltage allowing higher overclocks but as long as the options are there in the bios you can get good overclocks on most boards. If you want a newer chipset I have this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and have got my unlocked Phenom 550BE to 3.7GHz will all 4 cores running and any more is limited by the voltage (I don't want to go over 1.5).
Share
December 20, 2010 3:33:16 PM

Best answer selected by gunraidan.
m
0
l
December 20, 2010 3:36:01 PM

simon12 said:
You can overclock on almost any motherboard, my brother has this one $41.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and got his athlon x3 to 3.7GHz and unlock L3 cache. He could unlock a 4th core but it wouldn't overclock with the 4th core active. boards 3-4 times the price have better capacitors and more stable voltage allowing higher overclocks but as long as the options are there in the bios you can get good overclocks on most boards. If you want a newer chipset I have this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and have got my unlocked Phenom 550BE to 3.7GHz will all 4 cores running and any more is limited by the voltage (I don't want to go over 1.5).


So in other words. It's limited by the voltage. In lower end motherboards you can only overclock to about 2 or 3 speeds up. In middle end motherboards you can overclock to 6 speeds up. While a highend motherboard can overclock up to a whole Ghz.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b À AMD
December 21, 2010 10:14:30 AM

No thats not exactly what I mean't, on higher end boards the voltage is more stable so therefore so is the overclock but it only makes a small difference at very high over clocks. Also some cheaper boards don't have the option to increase the voltage very much (the ones I mentioned do) ie my old PC you can only put the voltage to +0.025 or +0.05 while most you have more of a range than is remotely safe for the CPU anyway. Also the cheapest board my brother has the increments you can increase the voltage in are double the amount as on mine so you can't fine tune as much.
m
0
l
December 21, 2010 12:43:02 PM

simon12 said:
Also some cheaper boards don't have the option to increase the voltage very much (the ones I mentioned do) ie my old PC you can only put the voltage to +0.025 or +0.05 while most you have more of a range than is remotely safe for the CPU anyway.


Please further explain.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b À AMD
December 21, 2010 1:39:50 PM

I'm not sure how I can explain more and i'm not really an expert I just know you can get good overclock results on cheap boards and I think expensive ones just let you get the last 50-100MHz out of the CPU. And also I know some cheap ones just don't have enough options. Start a new thread with the title along the lines of "Do I need a board better the the Asrock 870 Extreme 3 for overclocking a 1055T" and see if anyone who knows more can give you any reasons to spend more or tell you whats wrong with cheap boards.
m
0
l
December 21, 2010 5:39:45 PM

simon12 said:
I'm not sure how I can explain more and i'm not really an expert I just know you can get good overclock results on cheap boards and I think expensive ones just let you get the last 50-100MHz out of the CPU. And also I know some cheap ones just don't have enough options. Start a new thread with the title along the lines of "Do I need a board better the the Asrock 870 Extreme 3 for overclocking a 1055T" and see if anyone who knows more can give you any reasons to spend more or tell you whats wrong with cheap boards.


Okay, thanks.
m
0
l
!