Dual ram sticks on i7

G

Alright, so im preparing to build my first computer which is gonna be an i7-920 build. The thing that bugs me the most is the tri-channel ram situation. I have two 2gig ram sticks from a previous computer that i want to put into this one to save money. But because of the tri-channel my questions are ---

1 - Does the i7 ABSOLUTELY NEED 3 sticks of ram to function

2 - What would happen if I used the 2 sticks

3 - Is there really that big of a performance boost from tri-channel

Please help meh here its buggin the hell out of me >_<

also if they are DDR3 make sure that they are 1.65v or under (i7's don't like ram voltage above 1.65v)

and im pretty sure with 2x2GB sticks it would run in dual channel

leoblack9

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Hey I'm in the same situation with foxflames, right now I only have the choice to buy 1gb ddr3 sticks, but I want to reach that 6gb sweetspot for my i7. Could I buy 6x1gb sticks and put it all in the mobo? what's the difference with it with a 2gbx3 setup?

Electrically, 6x1 is harder to run than 2x3.

leoblack9

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
^ Wait, so I have higher risk of electrical failure? How so, since the motherboard has 6 slots on it, why not put a stick in each?

Fudgesticks, now I have to buy the Kingston 2gb ddr3. Or look at another store..

I didn't say failure - I simply meant it's more strain. Pretty simple: 1.6v x 6 modules, versus 1.6v x 3. A well designed board shouldn't have an issue either way, but understand that it possible you may need to compensate for the extra voltage drop.