thirddecay

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
First post here....Hi all!

recently put together a new machine, probably the 5th or 6th ive done over the years. im the type that slaps them together and hopes like hell they work (pretty good hit rate so far lol) but so far as fine tuning im nearly totally in the dark. here goes....

since putting together this new machine i have been getting consistant soft locks in a game i play regularly. after trying all the usual video driver changes and so on a friend mentioned that setting his memory timing properly solved the problem for him. having never done this i did a little research and noticed my BIOS had been setting the freq and latency incorrectly.

using an asus p6t motherboard and mushkind ddr3 triple channel 6 gig total.
double checked with my ram manufacturer and it says freq - 1600mhz with a 6-7-6-18 timing.
i have now changed my bios to reflect proper settings but in windows cpu-z still displays my dram freq as 803mhz...
also one other thing....it says to set he voltage at 1.65v....my mobo only lets me set in increments of 0.02 so i can only hit either 1.64 or 1.66. generally i would assume just set it to the higher but it also warns me that anything above 1.65 will damage my i7 processor...

any ideas? more info required?

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
DDR = double data rate, so 803Mhz = ddr3 1606, its all good.

As for voltage, try 1.64v and download and run Memtest to check for errors. If no errors and no lockups than just leave it at that.