What do you think of my new build? Core 2 Quad

firebus154

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Ok after like months of searching ive finally ordered my New PC parts and im going to assemble them my self =D

Case: Antec 900

PSU: Coolermaster real power pro 620w modular

GFX: Nvidia 8600 gt (i know its crapppp! but its going to be upgraded in a few months plus GFX are not the most important thing to me as i mostly video edit)

Mobo: Biostar Tpower I45

Ram: 4GB Corsair xms DDR2 800

CPU: Q9400

CPU cooler: Tuniq Tower 120

HDD: Hitachi 320GB

DVD/RW: 20x Generic Drive (i think its optiarc) BUT its IDE amd i think i need a new one that is SATA cos it'll be faster etc.))

So what do u all think be honest! and ill upload pics as ASAP!

Thanks

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
^^Sounds like a mix between the Real Power Pro 650w and Corsair 620hx. Neither would be bad options, although both are overkill for your configuration. A quality 400-450w would have been fine.

I think you spent too much on the mobo, but it will probably be fine as far as quality goes.

Hitachi HDD...meh. There are better options, but worse ones too. At least you didn't get a Seagate.

I think I would have gotten a cheaper case, since you don't really need the cooling power of the Antec 900, sorta a waste I think when you could have spent that money on a better GPU or CPU. Antec Sonata III would have been better IMO, you could have a high quality case+PSU for the price of that case.

Never heard of that CPU cooler, I probably would have gotten the Scythe Mugen 2 or Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283v.

GPU...garbage, but you already know that. It will be fine if you don't want to play games.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
What do I think of your build?
After like searching months of what?

Case: Antec 900... Good
Coolermaster real power pro 620w modular...Poor Choice
Nvidia 8600 gt ...nothing to say, you said it all.
Tpower I45...Poor Choice
4GB Corsair xms DDR2 800...OK if you didn't pay more than $30.00
Q9400...Ehh. Ok
Tuniq Tower 120...$50.00, too much. Better coolers for less.
Hitachi 320GB...Are they a HDD MFG? I thought they made electric drills and toasters.
20x Generic Drive (i think its optiarc) BUT its IDE amd i think i need a new one that is SATA cos it'll be faster etc.)) Again, You said it all.

The case is a good choice. Everything else, start over.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008

A little harsh, but to be sure there were much better options available. The time to ask is before you make the purchase, not after. I would return as many of the components as you can and start over. With our guidance you can get much better for your money.

chagen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

Could you elaborate on your i7 setup. Which P6T and what PSU did you go with. I have been researching for a week or two and your setup is very close to where I think I am headed if I choose i7 over the core 2 duo E8500 route. Tks.