Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive at Optimal Speed?

Last response: in Storage
November 4, 2010 3:04:10 AM

Hi, I currently have a 500gb 5400rpm Seagate SATA hard drive, that says 3.0gb/s on the box. I know I obviously shouldn't be getting the 3gb/s, but what I would like to know is if it is set up correctly so that I am currently attaining the highest speed that I can get. As of right now, when I transfer files from folder to folder, in Windows 7 it says something like 29mb/s (and goes down to like 19mb/sec) which doesn't seem tremendously fast (if it were internet speed, it would be a different story). Also, the Windows 7 performance rating shows that the HDD is the component that is lower than all of the other components. Could it potentially be bottlenecking? I have it hooked up via SATA, and beyond that, I can only think of settings in the bios.
I have a:
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboard,
3gb DDR2 800 ram,
eVga 8800GTS 320mb video card
Dual Core Intel E6600 2.4ghz cpu.
There are a few different configurations available in the BIOS, such as
SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode (enable or disable)
Onboard SATA/IDE Device (enable or disable)
Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode(IDE or AHCI or RAID/IDE)

Beyond the BIOS, is there anything else I could change to speed it up?

Thank you for your response,
November 4, 2010 5:33:28 AM

That does sound kind of slow but you know a 5400RPM drive is going to be slower than a standard 7200RPM. You save some money and power requirements at the cost of speed. Try playing with HD tune and see how healthy the drive is and compare it to other benchmarks.
http://www.hdtune.com/
m
l
a b G Storage
November 4, 2010 6:06:28 AM

The 3.0gb/sec number refers to the type of SATA connection the disk is designed for. That is not the HDs actual transfer rate. They really should just call it "SATA 2.0" . . . a data path that allow a maximum of 3.0gb/sec
m
l
!